COVID-19 Vaccine: All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Learn More
Supervisor, Patient Access
At the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), we are creating a better state of care, for our communities and our team members at more than 150 locations across Maryland.
UMMS believes all team members are caregivers—and we support our caregivers so they can care for our patients. When you join UMMS, you become part of a highly reliable community of more than 27,000, where your experience is respected, your expertise is recognized, and your passion and curiosity are nurtured. A generous benefits package supports your physical, mental, and financial health through a paid time off plan, comprehensive health coverage, dependent care and tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, wellbeing services and more.
UMMS embraces a just culture where all team members are treated fairly and are empowered to communicate their goals and pursue their full career potential. We are guided by our shared values—compassion, discovery, excellence, diversity and integrity—and we are looking for talented individuals who will embrace those values and help us achieve our mission and vision.
UMMS has been recognized as a top employer nationally and most recently is a recipient of the Forbes’ 2023 America’s Best Large Employers award, as well as Newsweek’s 2023 America’s Greatest Workplaces for Diversity and America’s Greatest Workplaces for Women honors.
share this job
Supervisor, Patient Access
Job ID: REF23417R
Area of Interest:
Location: Bel Air,MD US
Hours of Work: Various Shits,
Job Facility: UM Upper Chesapeake Health
Employment Type: Part Time
Under limited supervision leads the operations and personnel of Patient Administrative Services on an assigned shift for a designated area. Determines work priorities and resource allocation across multiple areas based on patient flow.
Serve as a resource to staff requiring assistance. Participates in shift rotation. Works closely with clinic and department managers and the business office management to solve registration, authorization, and denial issues.
Provides guidance and training to assigned staff responsible and promotes a strong productive team environment.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Participates and administers departmental policies and procedures which support the efficient operation of the registration/admitting function. Ensures the prompt, effective delivery of patient care.
2. Monitors and audits the efficiency of patient registration, ensuring the registration process is accurate and complete. Uses a systematic quality assurance process to complete work-related activity, monitors results and provides positive and constructive feedback to management staff and employees.
3. Establishes clear and concise work procedures and expectations.
4. Serves as a resource to departments including clinical, professional, and administrative staff concerning matters related to patient registration and patient flow.
5. Prepares written documentation and communication on insurance and payer updates, downtime registration, system upgrades, and identifies back-up support. May maintain the physician templates in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
6. Hires, orients, trains, conducts performance evaluations. Handles corrective actions, and provides an open and goal-oriented work environment. Establishes clear and concise work procedures and productivity standards. Reviews recommendations and provides guidance and counseling to staff regarding employee relations matters.
7. Maintains appropriate staffing levels. Prepares bi-weekly and daily shift assignments assuring that the department and clinics are sufficiently staffed. to accommodate patient volumes, time off requests, call outs and breaks.
8. Prepares payroll in Kronos and maintains the payroll records, including monitoring of absenteeism and tardiness.
9. Monitors the work of staff to ensure accurate gathering of patient demographic and financial information to maximize payment for services rendered
10. Counsels employees and initiates discipline. Prepares performance evaluations based on observations and audits of staff daily work performance.
11. Must be able to flex work schedule to meet the needs of the staff that work evening, night and weekend shifts. May be required to assist during scheduled systems downtime usually at midnight through the early morning hours.
12. Must be willing to travel between facilities as needed (applies to specific UMMS Facilities).
University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health (UM UCH) offers the residents of northeastern Maryland an unparalleled combination of clinical expertise, leading-edge technology, and an exceptional patient experience.
A community-based, integrated, non-profit health system, our vision is to become the preferred, integrated health system creating the healthiest community in Maryland. We are dedicated to maintaining and improving the health of the people in our community through an integrated health delivery system that provides high quality care to all. Our commitment to service excellence is evident through a broad range of health care services, technologies and facilities. We work collaboratively with our community and other health organizations to serve as a resource for health promotion and education.
Today, UM UCH is the leading health care system and second largest private employer in Harford County. Our 3,500 team members and over 650 medical staff physicians serve residents of Harford County, eastern Baltimore County, and western Cecil County.
University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health owns and operates:
University of Maryland Harford Memorial Hospital (UM HMH), Havre de Grace, MD
University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center (UM UCMC), Bel Air, MD
The Upper Chesapeake Health Foundation, Bel Air, MD
The Patricia D. and M. Scot Kaufman Cancer Center, Bel Air, MD
The Senator Bob Hooper House, Forest Hill, MD
Education and Experience
1. High school diploma or state high school equivalency certificate (GED) required.
2. 2 years registration or revenue cycle experience, or experience in a physician’s practice required.
3. Two years progressive supervisory or leadership skills preferred.
4. AAHAM and NAHAM certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of registration and admitting services, general hospital administrative practices, operational principles, The Joint Commission, federal, state, and legal statutes preferred.
2. Knowledge of third-party insurance principles and practices preferred.
3. Supervisory or lead project work experience is preferred.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of the operation of Epic required.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW