Surgical Tech or OB Surgical Tech
At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: The OB Surgical Technologist, Maternity Services must become certified within one year of employment. The Surgical Technologist assists the surgical team during procedures performed on the cesarean section patient to ensure appropriate selection/preparation and sterility of instrumentation and equipment necessary to expedite a positive outcome for the patient. Acts as a preceptor to new staff members as the need arises. Ensures surgical suite is adequately prepared for C-sections. Ensures labor & delivery rooms are adequately stocked and prepared. Assists Labor and Delivery nurses when needed. Participates in department performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Interacts in a professional manner with patients and families.
2. Provides patient with explanations and verbal assurances as necessary.
3. Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when patient complains of pain.
4. Treats patients and families with respect and dignity.
5. Prepares rooms in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures and supplies and equipment for each patient.
6. Demonstrates competence in labeling and care of blood specimens, placentas and surgical samples.
7. Checks medications/drugs with RN, as to name, dosage, and outdate; labels all medications on sterile field, per CMMC policy.
8. Assists in positioning, prepping and draping patient for C-sections and vaginal deliveries.
9. Accurately completes counts, instruments, sponges, sharps for all C-sections; follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to circulating nurse and surgeon and/or corrects counts.
10. Carries out surgical asepsis at all times.
11. Maintains safe environment for patients, coworkers and self per hospital policies and procedures.
12. Checks all equipment/instruments prior to use to ensure proper functioning.
13. Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of the circulating RN.
14. Always maintains an orderly and sterile instrument table; anticipates the needs of the surgeon.
15. Cleans and prepares rooms in between patients; restocks supplies.
16. Is fully responsible for the care of instruments/equipment including the cleaning and processing of instruments.
17. Follows written procedures for steam sterilization: knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
18. Regularly collaborates with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies.
19. Completes documentation within shift and meets current standards, policies and procedures.
20. Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with coworkers for the patient's benefit.
21. Able to complete ADT interface with fetal monitor system and register patients into rooms in collaboration with L&D nursing staff.
22. Properly collects and prepares specimens with efficiency and accuracy for subsequent testing to ensure the accurate and timely reporting of results used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
a. Properly identifies all patients, according to Laboratory protocol, prior to collection of any specimens.
b. Properly labels, according to laboratory protocol, all specimens collected.
c. Performs successful venipuncture with an acceptable time period. Can organize and prioritize workload and perform tasks without loss of accuracy and composure.
d. Successfully troubleshoots and maintains the order printer to maintain proper operation as determined by supervisory observation.
e. Performs “downtime” procedure.
23. Assists in stocking of LDRP rooms, labor and delivery carts, infant warmers and unit supply closets and phlebotomy trays.
24. Assists with morning care which may include changing bed linen, cleaning over-bed table and beside stand, straightening room and other general care as necessary throughout the shift.
25. Assists with evening care which includes freshening linen, cleaning over-bed tables, straightening room and other general care as needed
26. Assists in distribution of drinking water and snacks to patients as applicable.
27. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
28. Assists in answering patients’ call lights, anticipates patients’ needs and makes rounds.
29. Assists in transporting patients to various departments for ordered tests/procedures. Assists with transports for patient/baby discharge.
30. Assists in obtaining and recording temperature, pulse, respiration, weight blood pressure and intake-output for post-partum and medical patients.
31. Assist in maintenance of outpatient checkrooms, including bed linen change.
32. Assists with chart assembly/disassembly for discharged patients and new admissions when IA is not working.
33. Assists with transcription of physician’s orders in the computer system if applicable.
34. Assists with logging all patients in the logbooks and in computer upon admission, delivery, transfer or discharge.
35. Assists with the ordering of supplies, linen.
36. Participates in orienting new personnel.
37. Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
38. Performs other duties as assigned.
39. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
40. Meets dress code standards for the department. Adheres to policy for "Attire in the Operating Room."
41. Completes annual educational requirements.
42. Maintains regulatory requirements.
43. Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
44. Reports to work on time and as scheduled. Minimal absenteeism.
45. Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self -motivated. Organization and management of activities reflect due consideration for the needs of the department.
46. Attends a minimum of 75% staff meetings annually. Reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
47. Actively participates in department’s performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
48. Communicates the mission, goals and ethics of the facility as well as the focus statement of the Department.
49. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
50. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
51. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• Graduate of a school for Surgical Technologists.
• Certification for Surgical Technologist within one (1) year of hire to the job preferred..
• Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS required.
• Minimum of one (1) year of work experience in OB or in the Operating Room.
• Ability to communicate in English in both reading and writing.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Basic computer knowledge
• Knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!