State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Staff Scientist I
Req ID: 48497BR
Job Summary: Individual has progressed beyond the Research Fellow/Trainee stage and is functioning at the independent Staff Scientist I level. A Staff Scientist I may be in the entry to more senior level at varying degrees of independence and must have been awarded or have completed the requirements for a doctoral degree or foreign equivalent.
- Conducts research in area of specialty.
- Follows protocol manual standards in order to maintain a safe workplace environment.
- Works independently as well as collaborates with other research staff members to complete projects and develop research methods related to the projects.
- Interacts respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- May supervise, orient and/or train staff; ensures compliance to lab safety guidelines and accurate record keeping. May oversee lab equipment needs, inventory and the ordering of common lab supplies.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 4-6 Indirect Reports: None
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Doctoral degree required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Ability to adapt work schedule in order to accommodate research, especially when monitoring sensitive experiments.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Prior experience with laboratory techniques, computer analysis, creation and design of wet lab protocols and implementation of these experiments.
- Working knowledge of animal protocols and IACUC procedures in order to comply with appropriate regulations; CITI training preferred.
- For non-bench research, non-clinical staff scientists, knowledge of epidemiology, outcomes research, evidence-based medicine, and experience using longitudinal datasets, data repositories and statistical Analysis with SAS, STATA or SPSS.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead and direct multiple collaborative teams for large projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have significant implications for the management and operations of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply