Resp Therapist RRT
At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: The Respiratory Therapist is responsible for performing diagnostic testing and therapeutic treatment for patients with cardiopulmonary diseases according to physician orders and protocols approved by the CMMC Medical Director for Respiratory Care. These clinical services include, but are not limited to: cardiopulmonary patient assessments, oxygen administration, pulse oximetry, aerosol and nebulizer therapies, chest physical therapy, arterial blood gas sampling, ventilator management, indirect calorimetry assessments, bronchoscopy assistance, electrocardiograms, and pulmonary function testing. The RespiratoryTherapist supports all members of the patient care team with the overall care plan of the patient, including pulmonary disease specific education where indicated or ordered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Maintains knowledge of the various methods of oxygen delivery, including the necessary equipment. Remains alert, assesses possible side effects to oxygen delivery.
2. Administers respiratory therapy treatments, understands the purpose of each and the possible side effects associated with each.
3. Sets-up and monitors mechanical ventilators and the associated critical care duties required for such treatment, such as airway management and tracheal suctioning.
4. Demonstrates ability to assess patient pain interfering with optimal level of function or participation in rehabilitation - makes appropriate physician contact for intervention.
5. Performs arterial punctures to obtain arterial blood samples for blood gas analysis, and understands the possible complications and contraindications associated with the procedure.
6. Follows departmental equipment sterilization procedures.
7. Documents all pertinent data on the patient’s medical record following completion of any service.
8. Maintains a thorough knowledge of all departmental forms, flow charts, logbooks and their proper usage.
9. Performs all duties as outlined in the “Shift Responsibilities” section for the shift that the therapist works.
10. Performs all additional duties as assigned by the department manager/ coordinator.
11. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the differences in techniques and treatment modalities as performed on patients of varying ages, including neonate, pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients, as well as the general patient population.
12. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of oxygen concentrations and medication doses as they relate to patients of varying ages, including neonate, pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients.
13. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
14. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure that it is functioning safely and efficiently.
15. Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs of a patient and evaluates effectiveness of learning. Patient’s family is included in teaching as appropriate.
16. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients’ needs are met and that hospital policy is followed.
17. Demonstrates ability to assess patient, his/her need, and ability to tolerate treatment and reassessment for response to treatment.
18. Attends education in-service programs to maintain professional competency. Obtains appropriate hospital-specific education and training.
19. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
20. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
21. Completes annual education requirements.
22. Maintains regulatory requirements.
23. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
24. Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
25. Completes skill tests and returns in a timely fashion.
26. Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
27. Attends at least 75% of staff meetings annually. Reads all monthly staff meeting minutes.
28. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
29. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
30. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
31. Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
32. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
33. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
34. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• Current Respiratory Therapist Licensure of the State of Maine.
• Graduate of an AMA-approved School of Respiratory Therapy.
• Neonatal Resuscitation certification preferred
• Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS Certification required.
• A minimum of one year respiratory care is preferred.
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Strong written and verbal skills.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!