Registered Nurse RN - Oncology Navigator - Full Time Days
Nursing - Registered Nurse
8 Hr Morning - Afternoon
Northeast Georgia Health System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our communities.
About the Role:
In collaboration with the hospital administrators, medical staff and Healthcare professionals, this position coordinates care and services to the cancer patient across their treatment continuum, and provides psychosocial support and education to the patient and their families. This is a liaison position requiring clinical experience, self direction, attention to detail and patient follow-up. The ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, Physicians, staff and the public is an essential component of this position.
In conjunction with Physicians and other Healthcare professionals, the Oncology Nurse Navigator is responsible for, but not limited to, facilitating interactions between patients and their Physicians, providing logistical support, securing referrals, and assisting with financial and insurance issues.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Licensure or other certifications: Current licensure as a RN in the State of GA.
- Educational Requirements: Bachelors Degree in Nursing, Public Health, Biology, Psychology, Education, Social Work, or an equivalent degree.
- Minimum Experience: In lieu of the BSN, an ASN will be accepted with a minimum of nine (9) years in the practice of professional Nursing in an adult acute care clinical setting, or a minimum of nine (9) yrs in community health. Successful experience in a management, supervisory, teaching or comparable position is encouraged. Case Management experience acceptable.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Preferred Licensure or other certifications: Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN).
- Preferred Educational Requirements:
- Preferred Experience:
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and evaluate activities related to patient care, including assessment, problem-solving, collaboration, verbal, non- verbal, and written communication skills, and teaching abilities
- Excellent communication and writing skills; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in a team
- Basic computer skills
- Familiar with community resources and hospital processes, structure and function
- Current knowledge about diseases, treatments, therapy, diagnostics, and new technology. Seeks and participates in formal and non-formal educational opportunities to remain current and expand knowledge base
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work together with Healthcare providers to assist in the delivery of quality, cost effective patient care by reducing the time from diagnosis to treatment, improving patient satisfaction, and attaining timely pre-surgical workup and coordination.
- Screen potential patient referrals from radiographic reports, pathology reports, the operative schedule, scheduling services, and physician appointment schedules. The Navigator will initiate contact with a potential patient only after a Physician referral.
- Make patient contact and confirm patient awareness /understanding of their diagnosis and the Physician(s) treatment plan, including but not limited to the following: tests, procedures, surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
- Guide patients through the health care system by assisting with scheduling appointments, facilitating interaction and communication with Healthcare Staff and providers, and by making appropriate referrals and recommendations for patients across the continuum of care to meet their needs from diagnosis to end of life issues.
- Provide emotional support by accompanying patients to Physician appointments, tests, procedures, surgery, treatments etc., and follow-up via telephone calls, emails, and mailing etc.
- Track interventions and outcomes through the development, implementation, and evaluation of clinical practice guidelines to identify known or potential patient care problems.
- Identify and develop relationships with personnel in departments involved in the care of the cancer patients (i.e. Physicians, Surgeons, Nurses, Radiology staff, Case Management staff, radiation oncology staff, hematology / oncology office staff); provide educational opportunities to promote a better understanding of the patient navigator's role and to encourage referrals.
- Identify and develop relationships with community agencies (i.e. ACS, Wellness Community) involved in cancer care that provide financial assistance, support and education.
- Collect and communicate relevant patient data to help improve patient services and to use as a benchmarking tool.
- Provide patient-education materials and resources to patients; distribute education materials to oncology offices and locations involved in cancer treatment; promote hospital sponsored community education programs and cancer screenings.
- Provide ongoing needs assessment, including survivor needs, and make referrals as needed to the following ancillary services, but not limited to the following: rehabilitation (STAR Program), financial Counselor, Dietician, or a Mental Health Professional.
- Support tumor boards; attend and participate in disease-site specific multi-disciplinary team meetings.
- Act as a liaison between the Oncology Research Department, the patients and Physician practices to identify potential patients for ongoing clinical research trials.
- Administer the psychosocial distress screening survey.
- Weight Lifted: Up to 50 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Weight Carried: Up to 50 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Vision: Moderate, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Frequently 31-65%
- Standing/Walking: Frequently 31-65%
- Pushing/Pulling: Frequently 31-65%
- Intensity of Work: Frequently 31-65%
- Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking, Keyboarding, Driving
Working at NGHS means being part of something special: a team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you reach your goals.
NGHS: Opportunities start here.
Northeast Georgia Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.