COVID-19 Vaccine: All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Learn More
Physical Therapist I (Traumatic Brain Injury Unit)
At the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), we are creating a better state of care, for our communities and our team members at more than 150 locations across Maryland.
UMMS believes all team members are caregivers—and we support our caregivers so they can care for our patients. When you join UMMS, you become part of a highly reliable community of more than 27,000, where your experience is respected, your expertise is recognized, and your passion and curiosity are nurtured. A generous benefits package supports your physical, mental, and financial health through a paid time off plan, comprehensive health coverage, dependent care and tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, wellbeing services and more.
UMMS embraces a just culture where all team members are treated fairly and are empowered to communicate their goals and pursue their full career potential. We are guided by our shared values—compassion, discovery, excellence, diversity and integrity—and we are looking for talented individuals who will embrace those values and help us achieve our mission and vision.
UMMS has been recognized as a top employer nationally and most recently is a recipient of the Forbes’ 2023 America’s Best Large Employers award, as well as Newsweek’s 2023 America’s Greatest Workplaces for Diversity and America’s Greatest Workplaces for Women honors.
share this job
Physical Therapist I (Traumatic Brain Injury Unit)
Job ID: REF20067T
Area of Interest: Allied Health
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F with Saturdays
Job Facility: UM Rehab and Orthop Inst
Employment Type: Full Time
Deliver physical therapy services through evaluation of patient needs, goal determination, and development of treatment plans according to the principles and practices of physical therapy.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Performs direct physical therapy services to patients in accordance with generally accepted physical therapy standards, State of Maryland Physical Therapy Practice Act, code of ethics, and departmental procedures.
- Records patient evaluations, re-evaluations and care provided in the medical record, in accordance with departmental documentation standards.
- Participates in performance improvement activities and suggests areas for improvement to colleagues in a tactful and considerate manner. Proposes performance improvement topics and alternate treatment techniques to improve physical therapy services.
- Assumes responsibility to resolve or report clinical and operational issues to department leadership for resolution, in order to assure high quality care, and efficient departmental operations.
- Demonstrates interdisciplinary, safe, patient centered care and delivers excellent customer service.
***Relocation assistance available for qualified candidates***
We’re making Maryland stronger!
With roots that go as far back as 1895, the UM Rehab & Ortho Institute continues to be a pioneer in orthopedics and neurological disorders. From bones to brains, our cutting-edge hospital heals even the most serious of injuries, specializing in everything from total joint replacement to spinal cord injuries and neurological condition. In total, our 141-bed facility welcomes over 3,000 patients every year. As the state’s largest provider of inpatient rehabilitation services, we offer some of the most advanced therapies for stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, orthopedic and sports injury, among many others.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 1 year of relevant experience preferred.
- Licensed Physical Therapist in the state of Maryland
- Current ACLS or BCLS certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient knowledge of PT theory and practice techniques, as appropriate to specialty area. General knowledge of orthopedics, plastics, pediatrics, neurology, psychology, psychiatry, anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, general medicine, and the PT treatment implications of each.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills required to work with patients, caregivers, therapists, medical, administrative, and nursing staff successfully and to document patient progress, quality assurance activities, and other required information.
- Highly effective verbal communication skills including courtesy, resourcefulness and efficiency in answering questions, giving directions, locating staff and explaining hospital/departmental policies and procedures are necessary.
- Verbal communication skills may include communicating with an interdisciplinary team, patients, and families.
- Effective writing skills are also required in order to take messages and maintain miscellaneous records, receipts, reports and logs.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW