Patient Access Specialist
At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: Reporting directly to the Patient Access Manager, the PATIENT ACCESS SPECIALIST performs patient admitting and registration activities in accordance with established hospital and departmental regulations, policies and procedures. This position is responsible for monitoring and managing the EMPI (Enterprise Master Patient Index) during periods of system downtime and/or hours of non-coverage in the HIM department to include: communications with all areas of the healthcare system affected by duplicate medical record numbers, merging of the duplicate medical records and unmerging as necessary. This job description addresses general requirements for the PATIENT ACCESS SPECIALIST.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Completes patient admission/registration process by reviewing all inpatient accounts for completeness and accuracy of the minimum data set (MDS) as well as all required documents. Obtains and documents missing information required for completion of the admission/registration.
2. Uses appropriate work drivers, including just-in-time face sheet prints, to identify admitted patients and review all accounts.
3. Interviews all inpatients (or appropriate responsible persons) who do not have complete MDS information, and/or all required documents, in order to obtain complete and accurate demographic and financial information.
4. Refers all appropriate non-sponsored patients to Program Eligibility Representative.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• One to three years relevant experience preferred, including knowledge of admitting and registration policies and procedures.
• Detailed knowledge of department locations and services provided at Central Maine Medical Center preferred.
• Able to effectively communicate in English and preferably in French, both verbally and in writing.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Proficient skills with personal computers and word processing.
• Able to communicate effectively with professional staff, families and patients.
• Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
• Demonstrates a keen understanding of the significant patient safety implications of maintaining a unique patient identifier in the electronic medical record environment.
• Ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!