State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Patient Access Representative (Monday-Friday 7:00am-3:30pm)
BID−Needham is part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
BID Needham has had a direct affiliation with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center since 2000, facilitating the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopedics, pathology, as well as many surgical services and oncology housed in the Beth Israel Deaconess Cancer Center and Surgical Pavilion.Job Location: Needham, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45387BR
Job Summary: Patient Access Representative arranges for the efficient and orderly admission of inpatients and registration of individuals who have hospital based outpatient testing or procedures. Interviews incoming patient or representatives in person or by telephone and accurately enters information required for admission/registration into computer database. Distributes information to ancillary departments and physicians. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times. Acts in a professional manner and puts patient needs first.
- Responsible for accepting reservations for hospital service; Greet and assist patients upon arrival. Back up colleagues as needed to avoid long wait times for patients. Escort patients to departments as needed.
- Responsible for interviewing patients or their representative, obtaining personal information or verifying information already on file, including emergency numbers, next of kin, insurance information and other necessary information.. Is aware of when a patient may feel uncomfortable in the present setting and offer to provide a more private space to perform the registration function.
- Accepts copayments where identified. Locking them in the safe after collection.
- Accurately records all transactions.
- Responsible for obtaining signatures for General Authorization and Notice of Privacy if this is patients first time here. Provide Notice of Privacy Practices to all new patients and documents the advance directive and HIPAA privacy notice distribution in the computer system. Provides advance directive information to patients when one has not been completed.
- Receive actual order from Hospitalist via printer. Pay close attention to level of care. At this time either change to Inpatient or leave as Observation depending on physician decision. Make sure to update Attending Physician to physician writing order. Update diagnosis if needed.
- Receive bed request from ER physician via printer. Admit patient appropriately as Observation, Attending physician as Inpatient Provider update diagnosis.
- Interviews Inpatients and verifies information obtained at the time of admission. Distributes hospital specific literature and obtains appropriate signatures such as Important Message from Medicare.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience preferred
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply