At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: Office Manager provides reception and direction to all customers in a professional, courteous and efficient manner. Utilizes computer functions for patient registration, appointment scheduling, and charge posting. Assists patients with basic billing questions. Meets the communication needs of the patient/family, departmental staff and medical staff. Implements directions from the physicians and the therapy staff. Provide direct clinical assistance with Rehabilitation patients during treatment, including modality set-up, exercise and gait training assistance in accordance with Departmental policy.
Activities Assistant responsibilities include the following:
Activities Assistant responsibilities include the following:
• Orient patients to the available activities programs and resources shortly after admission
• Encourage patients to assist in planning and implementing their activities program
• Report any changes in functioning or mental status to the coordinator which may change the activities plan
• Provide for bedside activities as patient’s condition necessitates
• Maintain the activities supplies and cart and make recommendations to the coordinator for replacement/purchases
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Responsible for providing general assistance to the therapists in the Rehabilitation department including physical movement of patients, guarding patients or direct assists in a component of patient care delivery.
2. Demonstrates ability to monitor vital signs, maintains adequate knowledge base regarding cardiovascular and respiratory precautions and safety precautions for the patient undergoing therapy services.
3. Performs all duties in an environment that optimizes patient and self-safety and reduces the likelihood of healthcare errors.
4. Reinforces and monitors established exercise/ functional activities.
5. Assists patients with the completion of the demographic and medical history forms. Verifies insurance information with the patient. Obtains appropriate signatures according to policy, for permission to treat, insurance assignment, and release of information.
6. Assist in pre-certification for Workman Compensation cases, and pre-certification for other insurances as required.
7. Accurately enters patient demographic, insurance, and diagnosis information into the computer system. Correct diagnosis provided to Medical Records for coding promptly after initial evaluation.
8. Enters patient charges into the computer system. Assists department with accurate coding and use of modifiers during registration and at the time of charge entry.
9. Access patient accounts with IPM AS-400 function to correct charges, as well as modify patient accounts in response to Correct Coding Edit notification from Patient Financial Services.
10. Assembles patient charts upon admission, take charts apart and transfer records to Medical Records at patient discharge.
11. Follows policies and procedures related to medical- legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent.
12. Copies records according to policy. Obtains the appropriate patient release and permission from the provider. Assures the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
13. Handles inquires regarding billing, scheduling, and reference procedures per departmental policies. Appropriately refers to other departmental policies. Appropriately refers other inquires for proper intervention.
14. Schedules patient appointments; maintains updated, prioritized waiting list.
15. Communicates appropriately and clearly to therapists, co-workers and physicians.
16. Order necessary equipment (non-capitol) and supplies for department’s clinical functioning and maintain adequate supply levels. Assists in cost containment through conserving of supplies and equipment.
17. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
18. Greets and admits all patients into the Rehabilitation Department. Checks off patients from patient lists. Periodically reviews the waiting room to assure that patients have been served in a timely fashion
19. Interacts professionally with patients and their families and provides explanations and verbal reassurances as necessary.
20. Answers telephone in a professional manner and communicates information to the appropriate personnel. Attempts to answer the phone by the fourth ring.
21. Compile and prepare statistical reports, types and sends reports or letters as assigned.
22. Prepares and sends plans of care to physicians for signatures. Assures that all Medicare reports are tracked in every attempt to meet stringent Medicare timelines.
23. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
24. Prepares office for daily activities according to procedure. Organizes work area and waiting room at the end of the day.
25. Maintains regulatory requirements, Rehabilitation Services and the facility's policies, procedures and standards, including infection control, safety regulations and guidelines.
26. Assist in the orientation and training of new personnel for the office work and assisting with orientation of the therapy staff around office functions.
27. Provides technical assistance to the therapists by demonstrating ability to apply moist heat, cold pack, paraffin, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, and pelvic traction and conducts whirlpool treatment/cleaning under the direct supervision of the therapist and per the departmental procedures. Also is able to assist in guiding patients through exercise programs, again, under direct therapist supervision. Prepares treatment areas for incoming patients with the appropriate equipment and supplies as directed by the therapists. Provides assistance to the therapist during the treatment utilizing proper body mechanics, guarding, and transferring techniques as directed by the therapist (based on appropriate competencies).
28. Communicates to the treating therapist significant responses to the last treatment or current treatment that patient has not previously discussed with the therapist.
29. Accepts other duties as assigned.
30. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
31. Completes annual education requirements.
32. Maintains regulatory requirements, including JCAHO, state and federal regulations and standards.
33. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
34. Wears identification while on duty, fill out time card correctly.
35. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
36. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
37. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
38. Understands and behavior supports the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
39. Meets productivity standard for the department and keeps on schedule with patient treatments.
40. Accepts assignments of special activities and meets agreed upon outcomes.
41. Performs job duties in a manner, which maximizes expense control, uses supplies, equipment and utilities in an expeditious manner and performs job tasks effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
42. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
43. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
44. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
45. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• High school graduate
• BCLS certification.
• Satisfactory completion of Therapy Aide clinical orientation
• Medical office/ PT Aide experience preferred
• Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Strong written and verbal skills.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• Able to type/word process for data entry utilizing Word, Excel, and AS-400.
Desire to be a team player with a positive attitude, and responsive to change
Exceptional customer service skills, with the ability to handle difficult situations
Attention to detail is essential.
Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Skills in operating a computer, fax, and duplication machines.
Professional manner and appearance.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!