COVID-19 Vaccine: All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Learn More
Medical Assistant II - Urgent Care
At the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), we are creating a better state of care, for our communities and our team members at more than 150 locations across Maryland.
UMMS believes all team members are caregivers—and we support our caregivers so they can care for our patients. When you join UMMS, you become part of a highly reliable community of more than 27,000, where your experience is respected, your expertise is recognized, and your passion and curiosity are nurtured. A generous benefits package supports your physical, mental, and financial health through a paid time off plan, comprehensive health coverage, dependent care and tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, wellbeing services and more.
UMMS embraces a just culture where all team members are treated fairly and are empowered to communicate their goals and pursue their full career potential. We are guided by our shared values—compassion, discovery, excellence, diversity and integrity—and we are looking for talented individuals who will embrace those values and help us achieve our mission and vision.
UMMS has been recognized as a top employer nationally and most recently is a recipient of the Forbes’ 2023 America’s Best Large Employers award, as well as Newsweek’s 2023 America’s Greatest Workplaces for Diversity and America’s Greatest Workplaces for Women honors.
share this job
Medical Assistant II – Urgent Care
Job ID: REF22315W
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 8A – 8P
Job Facility: UM Medical Center
Employment Type: PRN
Under direct supervision of the on-site physician, assists in the delivery of patient care. Performs delegated medical tasks, assists physician and nursing staff with patient care and may perform clerical duties. Where electronic system is in use, this position will utilize the EMAR for documentation purposes. Fulfillment of job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas. Fully participate in the day to operations and patient flow and acts as a resource for Medical Assistant I.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Gathers and documents brief history and chief complaint in the medical record/EMR.
- Follows established guidelines to obtain necessary testing based on the chief complaint prior to the exam. Prepares patient for examination by the health care provider.
- Performs routine clinic testing, including but not limited to; urinalysis, vision testing, hearing screening, pulmonary function testing, temperature, pulse and blood pressure.
- Assists provider with procedures and minor surgical procedures.
- Obtains necessary blood and urine specimens.
- Provides pre-printed patient education /material as directed by physician.
- Always exhibits compassion and empathy for all patients and families.
- Performs cleaning and disinfection of environment of care. Performs high level disinfection of equipment instruments per unit/hospital procedure.
- Maintains necessary supplies in clinical area.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs. Provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
- Administers select medications and injections under direct supervision of physician as per clinic and hospital policy. Assist in the UMMS immunization program, including giving injections and tracking data in a computer program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Renowned as the academic flagship of the University of Maryland Medical System, our Magnet®-designated facility is a nationally recognized, academic medical center with opportunities across the continuum of care. Come join UMMC and discover the atmosphere where talents and ideas come together to enhance patient care and advance the science of nursing. Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program required.
- Active member of the American Association of Medical Assistant (AAMA) required.
- Two (2) years of medical assisting and medical clinic experience required.
- CPR certification required.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW