COVID-19 Vaccine: All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Learn More
MC Substance Use Counselor I
share this job
MC Substance Use Counselor I
Job ID: 100827
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 6a-230p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Substance Use Counselor I
Come elevate your skills and experience by working with a world class 800-bed, Magnet designated Academic Medical Center.
We are looking for talented professionals to join our team at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
As a Team Member at UMMC, you’ll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage, Tax-Free Savings Plans and more!
- A highly competitive wage scale: Annual merit increases and a base wage scale that is measured against to market standards.
- Generous tuition reimbursement of up to $5,000 per year for your graduate degree.
Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
The Substance Use Counselor I is an integral member of the multidisciplinary treatment team who is primarily responsible for evaluating patients and coordinating individual and group counseling toward the goal of patient education regarding substance use disorders and relapse prevention.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Will perform a full range of clinical counseling services for patients as well as case management functions.
2. Performs individual substance use assessments and screening for patients prior to or during treatment as needed.
3. Establishes, coordinates, and conducts educational and individual counseling sessions.
4. Develop, implement, and maintain SMART treatment plans based on regulations and clinical necessity.
5. Maintain supervision as requested by the state licensing board and University of Maryland.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. Must have Alcohol and Drug Trainee (ADT) status approval and minimum of High School Diploma and 15 hours of semester course work in alcohol and drug counseling. Experience is preferred however not required.
2. An approved license by MD Board of Professional Counselors and Therapist or Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners. Experience preferred however not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Basic understanding of Substance Use Disorders.
2. Knowledge of basic insurance guidelines, professional code of ethics (professional standards), patient rights, and confidentiality and privacy, as applicable to the particular area of specialty.
3. Ability to make treatment recommendations based on drug screening results.
4. Ability to adequately express ideas orally and in writing; to establish effective working relationships with clients, staff members and the general public.
5. Ability to accurately apply cultural competencies to a diverse population.
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
1. Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety.
2. Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
3. Implements policies, procedure, and standards consistently in the performance of assigned duties.
4. Develops effective working relationships and maintains good communication with other team members.
5. Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
It means a lot to me that UMMC is celebrating pride month this year. Early in my career, I kept a piece of me hidden every time I entered the workplace but eight years ago, when I joined the team here, I made a conscious choice not to do that any longer. I decided that I'm going to bring my whole self to work. So now when I entered the doors of the hospital I'm entering the door as a man who is gay, who has a wonderful husband and has three gorgeous children. I hope I probably celebrating pride UMC. We liberate those that still struggle to bring their whole whole self to work. And as an inaugural chair of UMC pride our employee resource group, I want to thank leadership for providing that platform from which to be heard and to be seen and to be recognized for the contributions that our community provides to the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW