State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Lab Animal Tech I
Req ID: 45906BR
Job Summary: Provides daily husbandry care and maintenance required for the health and cleanliness of research animals and their housing facilities in accordance with established procedures and schedules which adhere to State and Federal regulations and accrediting agencies guidelines (AAALAC).
Reports to the Supervisor of the Animal Research Facility.
- Provides daily husbandry care to research animals according to department standard operating procedures, state and federal regulations and accrediting agency guidelines. These duties include but not limited to; providing clean sanitized caging material, fresh food and water and environmental enrichment on a scheduled and as needed basis.
- Monitors animal health and well being in assigned areas. Reports all signs of illness to the Supervisor immediately. Completes all required reporting documents and cage notification cards.
- Operates bio-safety cabinets, Animal Transfer Stations, chemical foamers, hydraulic lifts and specialized ventilated racks (if applicable). Reports all deficiencies immediately to the Supervisor.
- Houses newly arriving animal colonies according to department standard operating procedures. Ensures that orders match the posted incoming animal log and assigned cage cards. Reports errors immediately to the Supervisor.
- Monitors environmental parameters of assigned holding rooms for temperature and humidity. Records all information on the room log. Reports any deviations in acceptable ranges to the Supervisor immediately.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- Certificate 1 preferred: Asst Laboratory Animal Tech, and Certificate 2 preferred: Laboratory Animal Technician
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- One year of experience working with animals or in a lab animal environment.
- Must be able to follow detailed instruction and carry through with minimal supervision. Must be able to work well as part of a team.
- Must not be overly allergic to animals so as to affect ability to work with laboratory animals.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Knowledge of routine rodent handling/restraint and technical procedures.
- Previous work experience with laboratory animals.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply