State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Executive Director, Research IT
Req ID: 48505BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the Chief Academic Officer of BIDMC/BILH and to an IT EHR Service Line VP, the Executive Dir for Research IT is responsible for the further development and implementation of plans to bring forth an integrated enterprise wide research IT infrastructure that includes EMR based clinical and outcomes research, high performance computing capability, and creation of a universal data platform to advance the translational and clinical research mission of BILH and its members. This role oversees and implements the strategy for advanced experimentation performed by computer through medical data (electronic health record, imaging physiologic monitoring and omic-data) storage, integration, and investigation which are central elements to enabling BILH to continue to be a leader in biomedical research. This role will provide key leadership in implementing Epic at BILH from a research focus perspective and further the goal of creation of a universal data platform. Provides leadership, promotes collaboration, ensures customer satisfaction, and promotes strong team cohesion and positive morale that results in the success and acceptance of Epic EHR and research systems.
- Provides leadership and guidance to teams across the organization on research clinical informatics and process. Directs the implementation of strategic research-related Epic modules and other solutions. Contributes to strategic direction and oversight.
- Leads the team responsible for the maintenance and support of the assigned EHR and research systems, application and infrastructure teams, as well as all additional systems to support research operations.
- Serves on hospital planning and policymaking committees as assigned by CAO and IT EHR Service Line VP; assures Epic function matches policies set for the organization; assures organization adheres to all regulatory requirements around research and is prepared for any audit/regulatory review.
- Develops a strategy to enable BIDMC/BILH to create a Universal Data Platform (UDP). Designs would leverage existing resources and avoid duplication of effort or data across BILH. It is expected that the implementation of UDP will occur following EHR consolidation across BILH.
- Serves as a key advisor to the CAO on implementation, integration and development of plans to enhance research information technology capabilities at BIDMC and across BILH. Partner with IT senior leadership and other EHR leaders.
- Evaluates the Research IT team structure for continual improvement of effectiveness. Provide mentorship and promote a culture of ongoing learning and opportunities for growth and development. Manage appropriate staffing levels to support the information technology needs.
- Prepares annual operating and capital budgets in collaboration with the CAO and IT EHR Service Line VP. Manage expenses and provide periodic updates to CAO and IT EHR Service Line VP.
- Will be assigned as a Business Relationship Liaison (BRL) within the system to foster executive level communication and collaboration in service of the IT business goals. This includes communication at all levels of the organization up to and including Incident Command if required.
- Direct reports to the Executive Director for Research Information Technology are Epic related Research IT leads from respective BILH hospitals including but not limited to: BIDMC, LHMC, Joslin, etc
- Has the responsibility to lead and support managers and directors in developing and improving operations to create optimal performance levels. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: 21-50
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing budgets for a center, institution or vice presidential unit.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 8-10 years related work experience required in in IT supporting scientific research. Experience implementing Epic or similar enterprise. and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- Proven ability to instill trust and confidence amongst Senior IT and Senior entity leaders.
- Knowledge of regulations regarding research data.
- Epic Experience.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead and direct multiple collaborative teams for large projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have significant implications for the management and operations of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply