EKG Technician - Full Time - Every Weekend - Nights
Northeast Georgia Health System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our communities.
About the Role:
The EKG technician performs procedures including EKGs and rhythm strips. Must possess excellent phone etiquette/communication skills, maintain interpersonal relationships across departments, exhibit exemplary customer service and problem solving abilities. A wide range of Cardiology terminology, along with an advanced understanding of cardiac rhythms and abnormalities, is required in order to perform this job. The scope of care includes age groups ranging from newborn to elderly. The EKG technician complies with standards of practice; assists with patient care activities; helps maintain supplies and equipment; and collaborates with other healthcare team members in response to patient and family needs. Employee performs clinical duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and adheres to National Patient Safety Goals as outlined in policy and procedures.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Licensure or other certifications: Maintain BLS certification.
- Educational Requirements: High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum Experience: EMT, Paramedic, other Cardiology experience will be considered.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Preferred Licensure or other certifications: Certified Cardiology Technician (CCT).
- Preferred Educational Requirements:
- Preferred Experience: One (1) - two (2) years EKG experience.
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Intermediate typing skills
- Ability to perform with proficiency the basic skills and procedures designated for technique in EKG skills
- Ability to work effectively with others and be adaptable to changing situations
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Performs procedures including EKG’s, Blood Pressure Monitors, Event Monitors, Holter monitors, code 99 monitoring and rhythm strips. Demonstrates knowledge of dysrhythmias and conduction abnormalities with recognition of potential risks as evidenced by proper notification to appropriate staff. Must demonstrate competency of Critical Results and Abnormal Rhythms, passing all competency assessments at 100%. Reports any abnormalities or differences in lead positioning to reading Physician. Maintains appropriate turn around time for all STAT, routine, and timed orders. Demonstrates understanding by following the protocol for managing, promoting and obtaining an interpretation of STEMI EKGs. Performs satisfactorily in mock codes and other emergency preparedness drills or events. Correctly preps patient for appropriate monitor. Accurately explains cardiac procedures to patient and/or family members. Recognizes and reports significant changes in the patient’s EKG in a timely manner. Prioritizes work load appropriately as evidenced by immediate attention to those with actual or potential urgency. Recognizes and reports conditions that effect or compromise technical aspects of the test/procedure. Practices infection control precautions consistently with particular emphasis on proper hand washing. Maintains a safe, comfortable and clean environment. Operates the electronic EKG storage program with proficiency, follows all protocols for promotion and confirmation of studies for interpretation.
- Effectively communicates with Physicians, staff and patients. Communicates any pertinent patient information to appropriate Physician/Nurse. Reports any problems to department manager or shift supervisor immediately. Educates patients for procedures being performed. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor or manager.
- Weight Lifted: Up to 50 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Weight Carried: Up to 50 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Vision: Heavy, Constantly 66-100% of time
- Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Frequently 31-65%
- Standing/Walking: Constantly 66-100%
- Pushing/Pulling: Constantly 66-100%
- Intensity of Work: Frequently 31-65%
- Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking, Keyboarding
Working at NGHS means being part of something special: a team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you reach your goals.
NGHS: Opportunities start here.
Northeast Georgia Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.