State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Director of Payroll
Req ID: 45301BR
Job Summary: The Director of Payroll functions in a lead role for the Payroll team for BILH and is primarily responsible for oversight of payroll operations. This includes multiple timekeeping systems that flow into Workday for processing. Requires a solid understanding of ancillary components, including applicable federal & state tax laws, general ledger impacts, benefits, state labor laws, FLSA, onboarding and other HR-related activities and policies. Must exercise a strong knowledge of Company payroll processes while overseeing complex and diverse duties in support of department initiatives. This individual actively works with the team to ensure that all payroll transactions are generated in a timely and accurate manner. The director must possess the ability to evaluate, contribute and drive departmental success. Future state may include one time keeping system for all entities.
- Leads bi-weekly Payroll processes for multiple entities to ensure employees are paid accurately and on a timely basis. Supports the Finance department regarding payroll issues and in addressing any discrepancies.
- Applies clear understanding of statutory payroll practices & procedures, payroll-related tax filing requirements and HR/Payroll compliance issues. Must have knowledge of FLSA regulations concerning overtime, exemption classification requirements, and wage deductions in addition to familiarity with multiple state regulations. Stays current with changes in applicable regulations.
- Interacts with various levels of Company and clinic management; responds appropriately to complex Payroll issues in a timely manner.
- Coordinates with Human Resources and Accounting for employee payroll data, information sharing and issue resolution.
- Coordinates with third-party payroll service provider on processing and tax processing/reporting.
- Manages large-scale projects in support of department and company Payroll initiatives.
- Provides oversight of Payroll Managers and staff members to ensure timely completion of Company payroll.
- Performs other tasks, duties and projects as requested. Drafts and maintains Payroll documents, complex spreadsheets, generation/creation of reports and forms.
- Identifies opportunities to create efficiencies and add value to the Payroll team, initiates process changes to improve and streamline where necessary.
- Prepares, reviews, interprets and analyzes a variety of data, information, and reports. Works with VP and department managers to make recommendations based on findings. Researches vendors and ensures proper set-up.
- Bachelor's degree in related field required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Strong mathematical skills required.
- Ability to work with and maintain sensitive and confidential information required.
- Experience with multi-entity/multi-state and shared payroll is preferred
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- 7-10 years of professional payroll administration, working within in a multi-state organization strongly preferred.
- Significant experience and knowledge working within payroll/HRIS and timekeeping systems. Willingness to learn other computer software, including payroll and database applications. Experience with Ultimate Software/UKG Pro is a plus.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead and direct multiple collaborative teams for large projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have significant implications for the management and operations of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply