COVID-19 Vaccine: All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Learn More
Director of Nursing (RN) - Operating Room
share this job
Director of Nursing (RN) – Operating Room
Job ID: 88508
Area of Interest: Nursing
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 8-4
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Director of Nursing (RN) – Operating Room
Full Time, M-F (24/7 accountability)
Actively seeking candidates for a Director of Nursing (RN) – Operating Room role to join our nursing leadership team at with University of Maryland Medical Center, Downtown campus.
Come elevate your skills and experience by working with a world class 800-bed, Magnet designated Academic Medical Center with a comprehensive and technologically advanced surgical suites.
At the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), a designated Magnet facility, we are a team. Nurses and doctors, specialists and therapists, work shoulder-to-shoulder to give our patients the care they deserve. We take time to celebrate each other’s contributions and treat each other with respect by valuing each other’s ideas and opinions. Ultimately, we support each other’s growth. Together, we form a world-class team dedicated to furthering the practice of patient care.
Under broad administrative direction, plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates the delivery of patient care services within a clinical division. Collaborates in setting long term strategy for clinical program development and service delivery. Assumes responsibility for the design and implementation of patient care delivery systems which promote collaboration with other health care disciplines, facilitate the cost effective utilization of available resources, and support the achievement of corporate quality and business objectives.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- As a key executive team member, designs clinical services to meet program goals and achieve quality, cost and volume objectives. Develops and implements operating budgets and productivity and utilization management systems.
- Collaborates effectively with medical staff leadership in projecting program development needs, and in identifying immediate and future requirements for clinical services. Demonstrates a systems approach to program and facilities planning at the organizational level.
- Directs the design and development of clinical services which are responsive to customer requirements, reflect the input and participation of staff and maximize productivity and effectiveness of work processes.
- Develops, justifies and monitors the annual operating budget for the division.
- Provides for adequate capital equipment resources for patient care through participation and leadership in the capital management process within clinical operations.
- Develops and directs patient care delivery systems which assure consistency, quality, and cost effectiveness of patient care services across the continuum of care, and which significantly reduce unit cost over time.
- Creates management systems which assure the achievement of organizational goals, promote the performance, development and retention of staff, and are responsive to needs for change.
- Supports participation of staff and managers in institutional service quality improvement teams and projects.
- Creates an environment which is customer focused, supports staff participation in process improvement, and empowers staff to make decisions to improve patient care.
- Assures that staff has the training, time and resources needed to participate in service quality improvement activities.
- Collaborates with clinical quality leadership to improve clinical utilization and create systems and processes which significantly reduce cost and improve clinical outcomes.
- Monitors patient and stakeholder satisfaction and directs systems and services to respond to requirements and improve satisfaction.
- Assures compliance with standards of professional practice for nursing and allied health professions. Assures the competence and effectiveness of professional and support staff that provides patient care. Assures compliance with regulatory requirements within service lines and clinical areas.
- Collaborates in the development and organizational policy which governs the practice of nursing within the organization. Represents nursing and patient care services in organizational forums, including medical staff committees, administrative committees and task forces, and groups reporting to the UMMS Board of Directors.
- Establishes an effective governance structure within the division for development and implementation of policy, and for the development and monitoring of standards of patient care and professional practice.
- Assures that divisional policies, procedures and operating practices are in compliance with standards set by external regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Develops sound and effective fiscal operating procedures which assure that the business goals of the division are met.
- Creates collaborative relationships and promotes effective communications between divisional managers and finance and accounting staff.
- Assures that managers have the financial management skills necessary to effectively manage unit performance to financial goals through guidance, education and development.
- Effectively articulates the relationship between strategic goals for service quality, clinical outcomes and financial performance.
- Effectively manages the financial performance of the division.
- Develops an organizational environment which supports professional development and effective performance of staff and managers.
- Establishes practices for recruitment, selection and development of employees which assure that the divisional leadership is in tune with institutional priorities and values, and have the skills and abilities to lead in the current environment.
- Collaborates with the Office of Professional Development to plan, design and implement programs needed for the orientation, competency assessment and professional development of staff.
- Develops and implements a plan for recruitment, retention, motivation and development of staff which assures that qualified staff are available to provide patient care.
- Directs the implementation of effective performance management systems within the division which assures that performance planning and feedback is effective, performance evaluations are completed in a timely manner, and that merit adjustments are equitable.
- Demonstrates leadership in promoting and valuing work force diversity and in facilitating the recruitment, development and retention of minority staff.
- Designs and implements effective divisional communications systems to assure that staff are informed about organizational changes in a timely manner.
Registered Nurses at UMMC experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- An Achievable Professional Advancement model: Opportunities to progress in function, skills, and pay through our achievable promotion schedule;
- The opportunity to work in a specialized care environment at an Academic Medical Center with a nursing centered care model and Magnet Designation;
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage, Tax-Free Savings Plans and more!
- A highly competitive wage scale: Annual merit increases and a base wage scale that is measured against to market standards.
- Generous tuition reimbursement of up to $10,000 per year for your graduate degree at University of Maryland School of Nursing.
Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing required.
- A Masters degree from an accredited college or university in Nursing or related field is required.
- Graduate preparation in management is preferred.
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of Maryland, or eligible to practice due to CompactState agreements outlined through the MD Board of Nursing, is required.
- Six years experience in nursing is required.
- Three years managerial experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates record of accomplishments in health care administration positions of increasing responsibility.
- Ability to think and function at an organizational systems level, and to move beyond the boundaries of discipline and clinical specialty.
- Ability to articulate the goals, philosophy and methods of service quality management.
- Demonstrated highly effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Ability to demonstrated knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
It means a lot to me that UMMC is celebrating pride month this year. Early in my career, I kept a piece of me hidden every time I entered the workplace but eight years ago, when I joined the team here, I made a conscious choice not to do that any longer. I decided that I'm going to bring my whole self to work. So now when I entered the doors of the hospital I'm entering the door as a man who is gay, who has a wonderful husband and has three gorgeous children. I hope I probably celebrating pride UMC. We liberate those that still struggle to bring their whole whole self to work. And as an inaugural chair of UMC pride our employee resource group, I want to thank leadership for providing that platform from which to be heard and to be seen and to be recognized for the contributions that our community provides to the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW