CNA 36hrs flex day/nights
At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: The CNA provides direct and indirect patient care under the direction of a RN or physician. Assists patients with activities of daily living, provides for personal care, emotional support and performs more complex clinical skills under the direction of a RN.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Performs patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient's age .
2. Provides care appropriate to condition and age of patient, including adult, geriatric and the general patient population
3. Provides patient care that meets the psychosocial and physical needs of the patient within the CNA's scope of practice
4. Assists with patient admissions, discharge and transfers
5. Provides care which may include assistance to bathroom, shower, dressing patients, changing bed linen, cleaning over-bed table and bedside stand, straightening room/bay and other general care as necessary throughout the shift
6. Assists with transporting patients to and from the Holding Room/Operating Room. Turns over patient bay in a quick and efficient manor.
7. Provides general nursing care such as positioning patients, lifting and turning patients, applying/utilizing special equipment, assisting in use of bedpan, commode and ambulating patients.
8. Prepares patients for meals; serves and removes food trays and assists with meals or feeds patients if necessary
9. Distributes drinking water and snacks to patients as applicable.
10. Answers patients' call lights, anticipates patients' needs and makes rounds of assigned patients
11. Transports patients to various departments for ordered tests/procedures.
12. Demonstrates the ability to perform procedures within the CNA's scope of practice per state law.
13. As requested, takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, blood pressure and intake-output.
14. Reports patient complaint of pain to the assigned RN.
15. Observes patient's mental and physical conditions as appropriate to scope of practice, reports any changes to supervising RN.
16. Knowledgeable of and applies appropriate infection control procedures.
17. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
18. Communicates in a clear and concise manner to RNs and medical staff.
19. Maintains a good working relationship within the department and with other departments.
20. Documentation meets current standards and policies.
21. Attends inservice education programs, as assigned, to learn new treatments, procedures, developmental skills, etc.
22. Treats patient and families with respect and dignity
23. Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
24. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
25. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist
26. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
27. Completes annual education requirements.
28. Maintains regulatory requirements.
29. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
30. Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
31. Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
32. Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
33. Attends at least 75% of staff meetings annually. Reads all monthly staff meeting minutes.
34. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
35. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
36. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
37. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
38. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
39. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
40. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• High School graduate or equivalent.
• Completion of CNA course.
• Current CNA certification in the state of Maine.
• Listing on the Maine State Board of Nursing CNA Registry.
• Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS required.
• 1 year experience in Med/Surg preferred.
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!