State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Clinical Pharmacist (Per Diem)
BID−Needham is part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
BID Needham has had a direct affiliation with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center since 2000, facilitating the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopedics, pathology, as well as many surgical services and oncology housed in the Beth Israel Deaconess Cancer Center and Surgical Pavilion.Job Location: Needham, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45296BR
Job Summary: Supports the mission of the department by providing pharmaceutical care to all patients at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham. This includes:
Reviewing electronic and written orders in order to ensure that the appropriate medication, route, dose, and dosing interval has been prescribed for the patient.
Interfacing with the appropriate member of the healthcare team in the event of a problem or lack of information regarding medication orders.
Supervises support staff (including technicians and interns) in order to ensure that medication doses are prepared correctly and under conditions promulgated by State and Federal regulations.
Serves as preceptors for pharmacy students. Ensures a high quality educational experience.
Serves as the pharmacy liaison on assigned committees. Responsibilities include serving as the expert in all aspects of pharmaceutical care, including drug information and pharmacy operations.
Serves as the drug information expert in the organization. Provides drug information in a complete and timely manner. Provides inservices, drug information sheets, and drug reviews as assigned.
Participates in departmental and organizational quality assurance and performance improvement projects.
- Clinically reviews all medication orders to ensure that medications entered into the patient's profiles are safe for administration. Assessment includes, appropriate drug selection, medication allergy, dose, route of administration, diagnosis, relevant laboratory results, therapeutic duplication, drug interactions and age of patient.
- Dispenses medication to the automated dispensing cabinets (ADC) on the nursing units in accordance with departmental policy and with the safety of the patient in mind.
- Reviews orders entered into computer system by Licensed Independent Prescriber. Ensures that order is appropriate for patient in regards to selection, dose, and dosing interval.
- Enters written orders into the Pharmacy computer system with attention being paid to how this medication will be administered by the nurse.
- Supervises pharmacy technicians, graduate pharmacists, pharmacy interns, and PharmD students to ensure that the daily needs of our patients are being met. Educates members of the department and healthcare team on safe medication practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy required. Doctoral degree in pharmacy preferred.
- License Massachusetts Pharmacist required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in clinical hospital experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply