State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Clinical Mgr, Phlebotomy Srvs
• As part of an unprecedented organizational initiative, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is now offering up to $7,000 in sign on bonuses for select leadership positions in the Pathology Department.
• Sign on bonuses are paid out in two payments. You will receive your first payment (half of the total amount) within the first 30 days of employment and is subject to applicable taxes. You will receive the second payment (remaining balance) at six (6) months following your start date and is subject to applicable taxes.
• Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week. Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses.
• Current and Former BILH candidates - restrictions apply. BIDMC Internal employees or employees within the BILH system are not eligible for the bonus or if you have been employed by a BILH entity within the last 12 months.
• Please note, sign on bonuses are subject to change based on the organization’s hiring needs and will be determined by Talent Acquisition on an ongoing basis. BILH/BIDMC Talent Acquisition reserves the right to change sign on bonus eligible jobs and amounts at any time.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 47945BR
Job Summary: This manager is responsible for delivery of effective ancillary laboratory services by providing an environment that supports the productivity, competency and morale of the Phlebotomy and Supply Handling teams. This person is responsible for all ancillary operations in their domain (Onsite and Offsite phlebotomy and Supply Handling) including hiring, training, scheduling, mentoring and evaluating staff. Creates a team of Phlebotomists who reflect superior patient service and dedication to the laboratory needs of our patients and clients.
- Supervises all operations related to phlebotomy (in all locations and over the service line hours), and the associated quality and business activities across the phlebotomy service. Will focus on the needs of patients, clients and staff to ensure accuracy from specimen collection so as to provide the highest quality testing, customer service and patient care.
- Standardizes all aspects of operations consistent with a patient centered workflow.
- Ensures staffing and training in their section, meets clinical demands and provider expectations for workload, including meeting turnaround time expectations. Partners with the Supervisor and Phlebotomy Leads to ensure appropriate scheduling and to manage fluctuating workflow.
- Communicates upcoming changes and the overall state of the Pathology Department and the Medical Center to their staff. Empowers employees to meet the expectations of the Medical Center. Partners with the section Medical Director(s) to ensure patient care needs are met; and, serves as a liaison between the medical and technical staff.
- Completes performance reviews in a timely manner. Addresses employee concerns and suggestions to maintain high morale. Acknowledges good performance and coaches staff who are under performing. Ensures all corrective actions are performed with guidance from Human Resources.
- Maintains compliance with all accrediting and regulatory agencies (CAP, CLIA, JCAHO) including quality improvement activities, documentation, procedure review and revision, competency assessment and safety. Ensures policies and procedures are implemented and updated as required to provide optimal results.
- Participates in strategic planning for the Pathology Department, ensuring smooth transitions to future operations. Serves as a member of interdepartmental work groups and committees and provides feedback to peers.
- Develops and implements department policies, and procedures, provide ongoing problem resolution, training and in-services. Ensures prompt attention to patients presenting and prioritizes throughput based on patient specific needs. Monitor wait times and move patients throughout the department in a timely manner.
- Monitors patient experience scores using Patient Satisfaction tools and conduct process improvement changes based on patient and phlebotomy feedback. Address disciplinary issues in real time while maintaining department records for team member training, competencies, and corrective actions.
- Manages supply usage of all locations, as well as compliance mandates on providing supplies to office based providers. Actively participates in Lab Leadership meetings and works collaboratively toward better patient outcomes
- Has the authority to direct and support managers with functional area responsibilities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: 21-50
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing budgets for multiple departments.
- Bachelor's degree in Any basic Science, Healthcare Management, or Medical Technology required.
- Registration ASCP Registered preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- Operations experience is required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Experience in preparing and administering departmental budgets, supply chain knowledge, and client services experience preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized as a Leading Health System in the Country
How to Apply