COVID-19 Vaccine: All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Learn More
Advanced Patient Care Technician- Stoler Oncology Clinic
share this job
Advanced Patient Care Technician- Stoler Oncology Clinic
Job ID: 101007
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8:00am – 4:30pm
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse and in accordance with the Nursing Care Plan performs delegated competency validated patient care functions and applies technical skills of a limited uncomplicated nature. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provides direct patient care which includes bathing, making beds, feeding, oral hygiene, giving shampoos, turning and positioning patients, and the like.
2. Initiates CPR procedures.
3. Identifies, records, and reports overt findings to the Registered Nurse concerning the physical and mental condition of a patient.
4. Assists nurses in assembling equipment and in performing various treatments and tests.
5. Administers and changes routine dressings to stage one and two wounds, surgical incisions, and peripheral IV sites after assessment by a Registered Nurse.
6. Performs urinary bladder catheterization for temporary or permanent placement and implements catheter care in stable patients as delegated by the registered nurse.
7. Cleans, sterilizes, and appropriately cares for equipment and instruments in accordance with operational procedure.
8. Administers enteral tube feedings via nasogastric or gastrostomy tubes, as supervised by registered nurse.
9. Performs chest physical therapy, tracheal suctioning, tracheostomy care and incentive spirometry treatments as delegated and supervised by the responsible registered nurse.
10. Performs minor housekeeping tasks to keep patient areas in a clean and sanitary condition; recognizes, reports, or corrects environmental conditions, which may jeopardize patient safety and well being.
11. Performs related and delegated tasks when necessary such as admission and/or discharge assistance, setting up special equipment, taking and relaying messages, procuring equipment, and running errands.
12. As determined by the individual department, the advanced PCT may perform any of the following procedures. The advanced PCT will have documented competency for each procedure they are competent to perform.
A. Places peripheral intravenous catheters
B. Accesses central venous lines (implanted and non-implanted)
C. Obtains blood specimens from central lines, ultrasound IV lines, and/or peripheral venipuncture
D. Places ultrasound intravenous lines
E. Places intra-osseous access
F. Completes specialized lab procedures including point of care testing
G. Supports clinician team, and performs duties as directed by the clinician during patient procedures, These procedures include but are not limited to: bone marrow biopsy, ECMO cannulation, REBOA placement, and arterial line placement
H. Initiates mechanical CPR device.
I. Establishes cardiac monitoring via 3, 5, or 12 lead
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Maryland Nursing Assistant Certification required.
- Completion of one of the following training programs: hospital based program, community college, Emergency Medical Technician, Medical Corpsmen.
- Employees with work experience that provide on the job training equivalent to the above programs can be considered as a substitute to a formal PCT training program.
- Two (2) year of recent, direct patient care experience required.
- Current CPR certification is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
It means a lot to me that UMMC is celebrating pride month this year. Early in my career, I kept a piece of me hidden every time I entered the workplace but eight years ago, when I joined the team here, I made a conscious choice not to do that any longer. I decided that I'm going to bring my whole self to work. So now when I entered the doors of the hospital I'm entering the door as a man who is gay, who has a wonderful husband and has three gorgeous children. I hope I probably celebrating pride UMC. We liberate those that still struggle to bring their whole whole self to work. And as an inaugural chair of UMC pride our employee resource group, I want to thank leadership for providing that platform from which to be heard and to be seen and to be recognized for the contributions that our community provides to the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW