Respiratory Therapist- PRNJob ID 2019-5909 Shift Various FTE 0.0 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule M-F, Weekend and Holiday. varied shifts. Type Per Diem (PRN) Facility Prince George's Hospital Center Department 136752-Respiratory Therapy
Administers respiratory therapy care and life support to patients by prescription of physician. Sets up and operates devices such as respirators, mechanical entilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators. Preforms pulmonary drainage. Administers chest physiotherapy and assists patients in performing breathing exercises. Monitors patient's response to therapy and consults with physician. Requires registration by the National Board of Respiratory Therapy (RRT) and State licensure as a Respiratory Therapist.
- Assesses patient’s status pre-, during and post-procedure.
- Recognizes signs of serious distress and monitors patient accordingly: assures relief from distress within anticipated time frames by staying with patient until expected responses occur.
- Notifies appropriate medical staff of significant changes in patient conditions, recommends medications, follows-up on physician orders as required.
- Follows all departmental guidelines on safety and infection control while providing client care, setting up, adjusting and disconnecting all equipment.
- Sets up and monitors all forms of oxygen therapy:
- Nasal cannula
- Aerosol Therapy
- Venturi masks
- CAM tents
- Provides core to adult/geriatric and pediatric/adolescent clients as indicated by Patient Driven Protocols:
- Bronchodilator Therapy
- MDI Therapy
- Secretion Management
- Sets up, maintains, monitors and manages all PGHC Respiratory Care approved ventilators used in the Hospital using the following protocols:
- Mechanical Ventilation Protocol
- Weaning Protocol
- Extubation Protocol
- Is proficient with all modes of adult ventilation:
- Maintains endotracheal tube placement and security.
- Monitors artificial airway cuff pressures.
- Maintains artificial airway patency via airway care and suctioning.
- Determines patient's status for weaning through use of bedside pulmonary mechanics.
- Performs endotracheal extubation.
- Monitors patient's acid-base status through blood gas sampling and analysis.
- performs arterial line draws
- performs arterial punctures (radial or brachial)
- performs analyzer quality assurance as indicated
- enters blood gas results into the computer
- Responds to all STAT pages, Code 99 and STAT Team calls as assigned.
- Properly utilizes patient care plans and critical pathways.
- Charts all procedures, patient/family education and patient progress as per department policy in a timely, concise and organized manner.
- Assists in the maintenance of an orderly work area. Cleans equipment after each patient use using approved disinfectant.
- Logs quality assurance monitors per department guidelines.
- Graduate of an AMA school of respiratory therapy with an Associate of Arts or Bachelor's Degree
- Current Maryland license in good standing as a Respiratory Therapist
- Registration by the National Board of Respiratory Care (RRT)
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*