- Physician Assistant/ 24 Hr
- Job ID 2019-5809 Shift Various FTE 0.0 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule 0700 Type Per Diem (PRN) Facility Prince George's Hospital Center Department 136854-Physician Assistants
Under the direction of a physician, provides diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive
health care services to patients. Obtains medical histories, examines patients,
orders and interprets tests, makes initial diagnoses, and orders treatments.
Administers therapeutic procedures such as injections, suturing, and wound
care. Instructs and counsels patients. May assist with surgical procedures.
- Performs routine and expanded job descriptions as listed in the provider's delegation agreement on file with the Maryland Board of Physicians.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on the assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span, possesses the ability to assess date reflective of the patient's status, interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age specific needs, and provides the care needed as described in the department policies and procedures.
- Performs according to Maryland BOP standards and expanded job description procedural protocols.
- Demonstrates competence and skill while performing in the operating room/emergency room.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and competency in the management of basic medical and post-op surgical problems, i.e., SOB, fever.
- Maintains a list of in-house patients and makes rounds daily. Writes progress notes with appropriate updates regarding results of studies, notations regarding procedures and/or surgery and outline of therapeutic plan.
- Facilitates excellence in quality assurance and the delivery of patient care.
- Maintains a procedure complication rate less than the national average.
- Ability to utilize Information Systems to gather patient data. Ensures that procedures are captured in the IS and recorded in the chart.
- Knowledge of SIMS criteria evident in charting and histories.
- Provides optimal quality of patient care throughout the hospital and demonstrates customer service standards with families, physicians and staff.
- Insures and respects the patient's right to privacy, dignity and confidentiality. Utilizes discretion when discussing patient issues or information.
- Assists patients, physicians, staff, visitors and colleagues in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
- There are no instances of unresolved patient, physician, staff, or visitor complaints throughout the year.
- Ensures that procedures are adequately explained and obtains consent from an appropriate and conscious patient.
- There are no instances where the surgeon has requested not to work with the provider.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional department and organizational core values.
- Addresses customer service and performance issues with colleagues that they know to be substandard or incorrect.
- Contributes to cohesive group relations; uses open communication to resolve problems in and between departments; does not "bad mouth" other departments.
- Ensures that OSHA mandated protective gear is used and/or department mandated procedural protocols are followed.
- There are no lapses of required JCAHO, hospital or department credentials throughout the year.
- Updates knowledge to maintain competency. Completes at least 50 hours of Category I CME every two years.
- Assists colleagues in the operating room or the emergency department when requested and not otherwise engaged in those areas.
- Adheres to hospital or department guidelines for medication, therapeutic or diagnostic orders.
- Progress notes demonstrate appropriate charting without emotional and subjective language.
- Provides level of care and intervention consistent with highest quality and appropriate length of stay.
- Determines assignments and completes them in appropriate time frame.
- Follows hospital and corporate polices related to time and attendance.
- Bachelor’s degree and graduation from an ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant program required, along with mandatory certification by the National Commission of Certification of Physician’s Assistants and registration with the Maryland State Board of Medical Examiners.
- One year of surgical, emergency or critical care experience is preferred.
- Must complete post-graduate surgical training for Physician's Assistants and participate in appropriate continuing medical education programs.
- Credentialing must be obtained from Dimensions Healthcare’s Medical Staff Office and maintenance of CPR/BLS certification is required.
- ACLS certification preferred. Salary is commensurate with clinical experience.
- Sign-on bonus may be available, as well as some relocation assistance.
Apply for a job
Email this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*