Phlebotomish (HIV/HEP C Grant Program)Job ID 2019-5919 Shift Days FTE 1.0 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule 10am to 6:30pm Type Full Time Facility Prince George's Hospital Center Department 136775-Family Health Center
Under the direction of the Emergency Department Director of Nursing, the HIV/HEP C phlebotomist performs a variety of technical functions including phlebotomy and accessioning in support of diagnostic testing for patient care of patients in the Emergency Department only.
1. Greets patients, verifies patient identity by standard protocol, and collects blood specimens using a variety of techniques (venipuncture, heelsticks, fingerstick). Assures timely and accurate collect
2. Performs complication-free venipunctures obtaining high quality specimens for laboratory testing through accurate selection of collection tubes and correct technique; demonstrates good judgment in the selection of the collection procedure/site.
3. Follows phlebotomy and Emergency Department policies and procedures; documents collected, unable, unavailable, and cancelled orders accurately according to department protocol.
4. Assures that all specimens are delivered in a timely manner to the laboratory for testing.
5. Primary responsibility for all HIV/HEP C specimen collection that do not require IV access for treatment.
6. Maintains adequate levels of phlebotomy supplies to perform collection procedures.
7. Maintains phlebotomy tray and working area in an organized, sanitary condition at all times.
8. Maintains accurate records of all patients that received specimen collection for the HIV/HEP C program and specimen results.
9. Monitors the PICIS EMR system in the Emergency Department to identify all results and reports the
positive results up to the HIV/HEP C program counselor or program manager in real time.
10. Follows up with patients that were not screened in triage to provide other opportunities for testing (oral,
or venipuncture) Follows Organizational guidelines for hand hygiene and safety
11. Perform other duties within scope of practice as assigned.
Certification and license as a phlebotomist
one year experience
Basic Life Support – Health Care Provider (BLS-HCP)
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*