PFS Patient Svc Specialist I, Registration, Wilkes Medical Center
PRN, 16 hours per week, day shift
JOB SUMMARY: Provides exceptional customer service by completing patient registration duties. Responsible for collecting and validating accurate patient insurance information, obtaining pre-certification or authorization, and entering all necessary information into Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (WFBMC) registration system. Informs patient of estimated liability, collects patient liabilities, identifies and refers patients in need of financial assistance to financial counseling as necessary. Fosters positive relationships with peers, patients, family members, and external customers to ensure quality services.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or GED equivalent. Work experience in a healthcare setting (receptionist, registration, financial assistance, etc.) preferred. Working knowledge of applicable rules, regulations and guidelines governing insurance payers and reimbursement preferred. Bilingual (Spanish) strongly preferred. Computer skills to include word processing required.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: N/A
1. Collects patient critical data elements, registration information, and completes documents, prioritizing workload.
2. Ensures accurate patient identification and addresses sensitive information with confidentiality.
3. Obtains authorizations, pre-certs, documentation when applicable, referrals, reviews and requests medical record information as necessary.
4. Communicates insurance benefits and liabilities with customers.
5. Collects past, current and future payments due and advises customers of financial responsibility and resources.
6. Provides excellent customer service through all interactions and resolves complaints promptly.
7. Works well independently and as part of a team.
8. Accesses hospital systems, office technology, payer websites and other resources for assigned responsibilities.
9. Adheres to the Medical Center's Values and policies while meeting departmental productivity goals and standards.
10.Communicates effectively with various internal and external healthcare team members.
11.Attends required training classes, seminars and meetings.
12.Performs additional tasks and responsibilities as requested by department management.
- Evidence of good interpersonal skills with customer service focus
- Effective communication skills (oral and written) and creative problem solving
- Ability to work with Web-based programs to review insurance eligibility and benefits
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Clinical and office environment
- Regular exposure to the risk of blood-borne diseases, infectious, and contagious diseases
- Contact with patients, family members, visitors, co-workers, and medical staff under a wide variety of circumstances.
- Subject to multiple interruptions
- Requires working under stressful conditions with providers and patients
- Handles complaints, settles disputes, and resolves grievances and conflicts
- Occasionally works irregular hours
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.