Pediatric Genetic Counselor – Genetic Medical AdventHealth Medical Group
Location Address: 601 E Rollins Orlando, FL 32803
Top Reasons to work at AdventHealth Medical Group
- Faith based & mission driven organization
- Central Florida’s premier multi-specialty medical group
- Comprehensive Employee Benefits such as Educational Reimbursement
- CREATION Health employee wellness and lifestyle programs
- Positive working climate to support a work life balance
Work Hours/Shift: FT/Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Provides diagnosis, assessment and counseling to pediatric patients.
- Collect and analyze family pedigree and patient histories regarding potential genetic diseases
- Perform genetic risk calculations and educate families about potential health risks
- Provide patients and their families with genetic testing and interpret the results
- Develop, plan and implement evidenced-base strategies that increase the quality of care for pediatric and adult patients and ensure compliance with all regulatory guidelines.
- Support and assist with data collection for process and quality improvement
- Ensure the Administrator, Medical Geneticist and Medical Director are informed of pertinent topics and seek assistance and direction when confronted with unfamiliar procedures and techniques to ensure delivery of safe and effective patient care
- Coordinate with the Nurse Navigator regarding patient education and additional healthcare needs.
- Serve as an ongoing resource for patients and families; collaborate with other providers regarding attendance to the needs of the patients; assess patient learning style and health literacy to provide effective education
- Track and monitor program progress/activity
- Pursue funding sources for underserved patients
- Develop working relationships to maximize program’s effectiveness and facilitate problem resolution across departmental, campus and physician/provider line.
What You Will Need
- Master’s Degree in Genetic Counseling
- Certified Genetic Counselor by the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) or American Board of Genetic Counselors (ABGC)-renewed every five years; or Active Candidate Status.
- Prefer 3 years of experience
- Ability to communicate effectively in a supportive manner to patients, family, staff and physicians in a timely manner
- Ability to observe, assess, guide, and evaluate others
- Ability to collect data, interpret findings, set priorities and carry out established plans
- Flexibility in prioritization; critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Computer skills such as Microsoft Work, Access, Excel and Outlook
Provide genetic counseling for individuals/families at risk. Develop Genomics Program; including clinical and operational goals, in collaboration with Physician Medical Director, geneticists, and other genetic counselors. Identify and engage the team of core specialists who will be working with the Center of Genomics Program. Monitor program quality on an ongoing basis and support all components of program marketing. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.