Patient Safety Coordinator (RN)Job ID 2019-5767 Shift Days FTE 1.0 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule 0800-1630 Type Full Time Facility Prince George's Hospital Center Department 136859-Quality Improvement
The Patient Safety Coordinator supports the organization by promoting a data-driven approach to systematic quality improvement and promoting a culture of safety. Supports the Patient Safety Manager in all activities and functions related to the Patient Safety Plan. This role leads multidisciplinary teams in process improvement activities that support the reduction of clinical errors and other factors that contribute to unintended adverse patient outcomes. The coordinator provides leadership for safety assessments, coordinates the activities for root cause analysis investigations, and educates others within the organization on system based causes of medical error by communicating lessons learned from RCA work and sharing evidence-based literature regarding effective safety and performance improvement strategies.
Plans, organizes, and directs patient safety activities and improvements related to quality of care and medical error reduction in the related clinical department. Assures the monitoring of action plans in order to sustain safety improvements.
- Collaborates with all staff, clinical professionals and administrative leadership to foster a culture of safety.
- Harmonizes improvement efforts with the Unit Based Safety Program utilizing knowledge of quality improvement, innovation and the organization. Participates in patient safety or administrative standard safety rounds. Works with Leaders and Physicians to organize and incorporate safety into standing meetings and huddles
- Advises department and corporate leadership regarding potential issues related to the delivery of safe care or obstacles to organizational learning and leads the development of solutions. Communicates lessons learned and measures of effective resolution of near miss event reviews to appropriate quality/patient safety committees and/or service line clinical leadership
- Reviews event reports that identify unsafe or hazardous conditions, including near miss events, which lead to patient safety action plan improvements. Facilitates action plan development and identifies methods of quality monitoring for clinical effectiveness
- Conducts clinical audits/assessments and chart reviews to identify unsafe or hazardous conditions in the clinical setting which may lead to potential or actual patient harm.
- Utilizes data from a variety of sources to identify opportunities to improve the systems in the delivery of care to improve quality and promote patient safety;
5 years clinical experience in hospital including experience with facilitating and leading safety and quality improvement initiatives
2 years experience in quality or safety role preferred
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing or equivalent Health Care Field
- Current RN license
- Demonstrated broad based knowledge of improvement methodology and ability to coach staff. Ability to facilitate clinical quality/safety improvement and the problem-solving process in a clinical setting.
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*