Patient Access RepresentativeJob ID 2019-5759 Shift Days FTE 1 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule Monday - Friday 9am-5:30pm Tuesday 10:30am-7pm Type Full Time Facility University of Maryland Family Health and Wellness Department 500855901-Internal Medicine
This position performs all outpatient and inpatient registration functions including hospital point of service collections, electronic patient bed management responsibilities and insurance verification. Process patients through the registration functions as quickly as possible while collecting complete and accurate personal, clinical and financial information. Provides general information to hospital users, patients and families. Communicates effectively to service delivery areas to maximize patient flow and customer service.
- Performs accurate and complete Registration/Preregistrations and & Admissions to provide information which will maximize reimbursement, achieve collection rations and meet Account Receivable goals and provide timely and thorough information to all other providers & customers that utilize the patient data.
- Interview patients face-to-face or by phone to obtain registration information (prior to service/point of service).
- Obtain interpretive services to provide communications for hearing impaired or when there is a language barrier preventing completion of the registration process.
- Ensures that financial protocols and requirements are met while providing caring access to service at UM Capital Region Health Medical Group.
- Contact insurance companies for patient benefits and authorization approval for patient care.
- Completes departmental intake forms and shift/day end reports fully and accurately.
- Minimizes 3rd party payer denials by verifying authorization of service prior to forwarding patients to service delivery areas.
- Obtains patient signatures on Consent forms, HIPAA, Observation Notice, Insurance Waiver, Important Message from Medicare and other important forms as required within the Hospital’s policies.
- Performs departmental administrative functions as required. Answers all incoming telephone calls according to departmental telephone standards.
- Document on line admission or other patient service dates to initiate payer and hospital utilization review process.
- When necessary, pursue actual approval and authorization number from the insurance based upon diagnosis, service and contract coverage.
- Maintains current knowledge of insurance requirements and an understanding of the changing demands of federal regulations and organizational requirements, UMCRH/PAS policies and procedures, Joint Commission, state and local mandates communicated by email, memorandum, educational matrices and in-services.
- Work with insurance team specialist to maintain patient flow while resolving financial issues.
- Communicates effectively with service areas when unresolved financial issues threaten appointment schedules and request from physicians that service be rescheduled when payment from insurance or patient is doubtful
- Negotiates deposits and payment arrangements with patients and or guarantors and attempt to collect patient deposits or other uninsured balances on accounts
- Conducts Bed Assignment duties accurately and timely.
- Contacts physician offices for orders for patient care.
- Ensures that all required documents are scanned into the correct individual patient record.
- Performance of any requested assignments, tasks or duties within the Patient Access department and as required within the scope of the job description.
- Rotate to various patient access department registration portals as needed.
Must be able to type 25 WPM and pass clerical exam.
Ability to speak read and write in English fluently, a secondary language is a plus.
Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Medical Terminology preferred.
Ability to adapt to technical upgrades and changes throughout the hospital system.
Ability to work independently, and take initiative in executing work task
Ability to work cooperatively with all types of personalities inside and outside the organization
Readily accepts responsibilities for one’s own actions and behaviors
Serves as an effective resource and acts as a member of the team in a supportive manner. Shows willingness to offer or request assistance when needed.
Good interpersonal skills with ability to work and communicate (verbally and written) with all levelsof hospital personnel, including physicians, clinicians, and all customers
The position requires continuous training to upgrade skill set to support transformation and sustainability.
- 1-3 years experience.
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*