- Nurse Practitioner - Cath Lab
- Job ID 2018-5292 Shift Days FTE 1.0 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule Varies Type Full Time Facility Prince George's Hospital Center Department 136746-Cardiac Cath Lab
Under the direction of a physician, plans, assesses, implements and evaluates total nursing care to a specific patient group. Orders, performs, and interprets laboratory and diagnostic testing. Performs therapeutic treatment and gives patient care directions to nursing and other staff. May prescribe medication, provide emergency care, and make patient referrals to appropriate licensed physician. Requires Nurse Practitioner certification.
- Rounds on designated patients and ensures patients meet criteria for monitoring; may consult with the ordering physician to discontinue when necessary.
- Assists in the management of patients at the request of the physician, refers pertinent issues to the appropriate healthcare professional.
- Serves as a role model by demonstrating expertise and comprehensive knowledge in the delivery of healthcare to cardiac patients and their families, to nurses and other healthcare providers.
- Serves as a liaison between the physician and other members of the healthcare team to develop comprehensive care plans for cardiac patients.
- Provides level of care and intervention consistent with the highest quality and appropriate length of stay; facilitates discharge and follow up care. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and provide direction when workloads change during a crisis situation.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients treated.
- Communicates information consistently and constructively. Provides sufficient background information, as appropriate, to ensure understanding; selects appropriate channel and timing for communications.
- Notifies physicians of pertinent issues with their patients in a timely manner. Supports Medical Staff and Hopitalists.
- Documents in patients' charts as needed. Meets daily with the unit charge nurse and case manager in order to:
- Solve unresolved patient issues.
- Facilitate admission, transfers, and discharges.
- Increase compliance with Core Measures.
- Avoid insurance denials.
- Reduce delays in service.
- Writes orders on any patient in assigned area: for example.
- Order PT and OT evaluations in order to process short term rehab assessments.
- Potassium/magnesium repletion.
- Appropriate medications for cough, constipation, nausea/vomiting, and headache.
- Blood sugar management.
- Laboratory tests and x-rays.
- Complete appropriate order sets.
- Serves as a clinical consultant to other healthcare professionals.
- Collaborates with other members of the healthcare team in planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating comprehensive healthcare for cardiac patients and their families.
- Participates in planning, development, and presentation of special projects.
- Assesses the learning needs of patients, families, and staff in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
- Plans, provides, and coordinates patient/family and staff education for those involved in the care of cardiac patients.
- Reviews and utilizes current literature and research findings relevant to the healthcare of cardiac patients and their families.
- Assists with implementing research findings and monitoring the impact on patient care outcomes.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives and quality monitoring.
- Must have completed an Accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and have current Maryland license in good standing as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Must have diagnostic, therapeutic and procedural competency in the appropriate area.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served.
- Must have BLS-HCP and ACLS certifications.
Apply for a job
Email this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*