Nurse Navigator, Cancer Center
Nursing Worcester, Massachusetts
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 193384
Title: Nurse Navigator, Cancer Center
Department: Cancer Center of Excellence
Posting Date: June 24, 2019
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
Guides patients through the healthcare system from screening through diagnosis, by assisting with access, developing relationships with service providers and tracking interventions and outcomes. Promotes a positive work environment which emphasizes respect to our customers, patients, patients’ families, physicians, staff and other department. Serves as a clinical expert in the care of these patients.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
- Current Massachusetts Registered Nurse licensure and registration.
- Oncology Certification.
- Minimum of 5 years oncology experience in specific disease site (breast, lung, GI, etc) and post surgical nursing.
- Excellent teaching skills, consultation skills and customer service skills.
- Demonstrates leadership experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Oncology experience.
- Facilitates the entry of patients into the diagnostic and/or treatment system and coordinates their care including family involvement. Follows the patients throughout the continuum of health care services across multiple departments.
- Assists patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment options, and resources available.
- Coordinates multidisciplinary planning conferences, collaboratively assists with the development of patient summaries for use by care team.
- Evaluates progress of patients along the continuum and is responsible for professional and personal modifications along with the healthcare team as appropriate.
- Develops relationships with all oncology providers including but not limited to, medical oncologists, radiologist, surgical oncologist, radiation oncologist, pathologist, plastic surgeon, primary care physician. Serves as a liaison between the patient and the providers.
- Utilizes nursing process to comprehensively assess the patients’ physical and psychological status.
- Provides patient education across the continuum of care and facilitates symptom management.
- Provides access to community resources and links to support services such as: social services, nutrition services, psychologist, pastoral care, physical therapy, rehabilitation therapy, financial counseling, American Cancer Society, etc.
- Assists with tracking metrics and quality indicators for diagnosing and treating promptly and effectively. Works with the Cancer Registry staff and others to collect data and track outcomes.
- Develops, implements and/or supports cancer center and community programs/workshops/seminars/support services, etc.
Standard Staffing Level Responsibilities:
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, seminars as required or directed.
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, demonstrates Standards of Respect, and contributes to creating and maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
We’re striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We’re expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, UMMHC recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.