Medical Technologist I
Req ID: 30482BR
Job Summary: Performs tests, confirms accuracy of results and reports laboratory findings to the Pathologists and other Clinicians. This is an entry-level position for new graduates, and the level if not certified.
- Under the direction of a MTII,MTIII, Lead or Supervisor prepares specimens for examination and performs complex chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and/or bacteriological tests according to established laboratory procedures. Uses automated equipment and instruments capable of performing tests simultaneously.
- Under general supervision performs and documents start-up, quality control, calibration, preventative maintenance and troubleshooting procedures on instruments and laboratory equipment per established laboratory protocols. Assists with inventory management to maintain adequate supplies for patient testing.
- Performs routine testing, preparing of specimens, and evaluation of test results. Evaluates QC and calibration results for acceptability following established laboratory policies before reporting patient results.
- Ensures accuracy of test results. Evaluates test results, enters test results into the LIS and reports critical/urgent test results to providers according to established laboratory policies. Reviews own work to ensure that all work products are accurate, consistent with standards, and produced in a timely manner
- Participates in mandatory and voluntary continuing education to stay current with developments in the field of laboratory medicine. Completes all required competency assessments including the running and resulting of proficiency testing samples. Participates in QA/QI projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Lab. or Life Sciences, or in progress and completed prior to start date required.
- Registration ASCP Registered preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Successful completion of a clinical laboratory medicine rotation, clinical practicum, or equivalent clinical laboratory experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus