Medical Director at Tutwiler
- Job Number: 82777739320
8966 US Hwy 231 NWetumpka,AL
- Date Posted: 4/10/2018
Wexford Health Sources, the nation's leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Medical Director to join our team of healthcare professionals at Tutwiler Correctional Facility in Wetumpka, AL.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Medical Director is responsible for providing the overall supervision of the delivery of medical services at the correctional facility. The Medical Director attends patients, provides medical consultations for the medical staff and institutional officials, and functions as the liaison for clinical matters with medical providers outside the institution. The Site Medical Director is expected to function at the level of a Primary Care Provider (PCP), performing any skill a PCP would perform in an office. The incumbent coordinates the services of physicians, physician extenders (e.g., physician assistants, nurse practitioners, etc.) and any other medical professionals working within the medical facilities at their site. Participates in the development of medical/clinical policies and procedures. Serves as a liaison between the medical/clinical staff, correctional site operations, WHS’ regional and corporate staff, and Alabama correctional and medical leadership. The Medical Director ensures that all activities of the health care unit are conducted in accordance with standards of medical care delineated by state regulations, AMA and ACA standards.
- Evaluate all existing medical programs and assess the health care needs of the inmate population, making recommendations regarding medical programs or services as appropriate.
- Assist in designing and implementing policies, procedures and protocol for health care unit and medical staff.
- Report any problems and/or unusual incidents to the Health Services Administrator, Physician Director or Program Administrator.
- Attend staff meetings and participate on various committees as requested by the Health Services Administrator or designee.
- Conduct inmate sick call on days and at times authorized by the correctional facility.
- Examine, diagnose and treat inmates referred to the Medical Director.
- Review and/or monitor the staff physician review of all laboratory, x-ray and ancillary reports, and ensure that the review is documented on inmates’ charts.
- Assure examination and initial emergency medical treatment to all persons who are injured or become ill while on the premises. These persons shall then be referred to their personal physician of choice for necessary follow-up care.
- Provide 24-hour on call emergency care to the correctional facility.
- Provide minor surgical treatment at the institution as deemed medically appropriate to include suturing for minor lacerations.
- Formulate written individual treatment plans for inmates with medical problems, which include directions to health care and other personnel regarding their roles in the care and supervision of these patients.
- Conduct infirmary rounds, or ensure that another physician conducts rounds.
- Conduct intake and annual examinations on inmates as provided for by appropriate procedures or as dictated by sound medical practice.
- Participate in recruitment of health care staff as requested by the Physician Director.
- Supervise and evaluate the clinical activities of all health care staff, including:
- Supervising infirmary rounds made on patients by other physicians
- Evaluating services and treatment provided by other staff physicians, physician’s assistants/nurse practitioners and other health care staff.
- Properly completing employee evaluations for those employees under the Medical Director’s direct supervision in accordance with applicable Wexford Health policy.
- Assisting in planning schedules of health care staff to provide optimal coverage, when requested.
- Implement and direct the quality assurance program including, but not limited to, conducting audit and medical chart review procedures as identified in the Wexford Health QA manuals.
- Participate in and ensure that all new health care personnel are provided with orientation on site regarding medical practices.
- In conjunction with the Health Services Administrator, direct the development of the correctional facility’s continuing medical education curriculum and oversee a program providing in-service education and communicate such to the corporate HR Department.
- Participate in ensuring that staff members receive training as necessary to ensure proper performance of their medical duties.
- Provide verification to the Corporate Medical Director of admitting privileges at the hospital.
- Make referrals and arrangements with medical specialists as needed for treatment of those inmates with health problems extending beyond the scope and capability of on-site services provided (subject to the security coverage of the facility.
- Review the health care status of inmates admitted to outside hospitals to ensure that the duration of the hospitalization is medically appropriate.
- Ensure that discharge summaries are furnished to the correctional institution by the hospital in a timely fashion.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Promote cost control through effective supply inventory, staff education, security and efficient use of supplies and resources.
- Provide input into developing needed policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in committee assignments.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff and health care personnel.
Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel throughout region and state is required.
LICENSING: Current Alabama Medical License
CERTIFICATION: DEA Certification; Current CPR Certification; CCHP preferred
EDUCATION: Medical Degree required
- Minimum of three (3) year experience in an institutional healthcare setting.
Get job alerts by email. Sign up now!
Receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Share job opportunities with family and friends through email.
As a qualified individual with a disablity or disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online system as a result of your disability. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-800-903-3616
- Fax: 412-937-3613
- Email: email@example.com
Copyright © 2019 Wexford Health Sources, Inc.