Laboratory Assistant II - Laboratory Phlebotomists – Part Time - Orlando
Florida Hospital Orlando seeks to hire a Laboratory Assistant who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,107-bed Florida Hospital Orlando, serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America. Florida Hospital Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country. We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year..
The laboratory at the Orlando campus is accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and serves the patients at the Orlando campus, esoteric testing from other Florida Hospital campuses and the broader community through the outreach services of the Florida Hospital Laboratories. This team provides services including chemistry, hematology, transfusions, microbiology, immunology, special chemistry, molecular diagnostics, tissue typing, diagnostic hematology, cytology and pathology. The laboratory goal is to produce safe, accurate and timely test results through the use of innovative instrumentation and efficient work processes, all performed in a cost efficient manner. Over 36 million results are reported on an annual basis. These efforts are supported by over 390 staff members including pathologists, technologists, lab assistants and support staff.
Mon – Fri and every other weekend / 00:30am – 09:30am
The Laboratory Assistant II performs various laboratory support procedures in assigned areas which may include phlebotomy and/or specimen processing in clinical and anatomical pathology areas. In addition to having worked at Florida Hospital for at least six months, he/she must meet the required basic continuing education and department specific requirements. Work customarily involves practical knowledge in various laboratory procedures and support functions. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Demonstrated technical skills and aptitudes related to the laboratory procedures or processes performed in department or work area assigned.
- Able to effectively communicate verbally and in written form in English with patients, staff, and customers of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective, and professional manner.
- Ability to read text and numbers in English, with demonstrated ability to comprehend, measure, reason, match, problem solve, and exercise judgment under supervision. Ability to respond appropriately to buzzers, bells, flashing lights, and pagers.
- Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
- Mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Ability to handle infectious biological specimens, caustics, toxic chemicals and/or irritants appropriately and safely.
- At least six months employment at Florida Hospital.
- Additional department specific requirements as outlined on the LAB2 Application
- High School Diploma or equivalent (preferred)
- Completion of Blood Collection Program, Medical Assistant Program, or similar training program appropriate to anticipated department assignment (preferred)
- OR 1-year experience in hospital laboratory setting appropriate to department work assigned. (preferred)
- Minimum typing skills of 30 wpm (preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Nationally certified in blood collection if phlebotomy duties are required (preferred)
- Certification as a Lab Assistant (preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program
- Performs assigned pre-analytical activities related to laboratory testing, which may include general equipment maintenance, function checks and documentation; inventory control and supply stocking; blood specimen collection to include phlebotomy and skin puncture for all age groups; biological specimen processing; cleaning and disinfection of selected or assigned laboratory equipment and spaces; and other pre-analytical activities.
- Continually maintains workspaces in a neat, organized, and properly supplied; properly stores documentation and paperwork.
- Performs post-analytical activities related to laboratory testing as needed to support assigned department.
- Performs various support activities to facilitate operation of assigned department or work area, which may include answering the telephone, clerical and receptionist duties.
- Assists the Laboratory management with special projects as assigned.
- Assists in teaching new staff and Phlebotomy Students when assigned.
- Provides resolution to customer service issues within guidelines and supports education to clinical staff.
- Participates in, and has knowledge of, laboratory and hospital Performance Improvement activities, including evaluation of new equipment and/or procedures or methods.
- Adheres to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies; protects confidentiality of patient information and results at all times.
- Provides and acts on technical and support information related to the elements of laboratory testing for all age groups, from neo-nates through geriatric patients.
- Follows appropriate safety policies including the appropriate use of PPE, handwashing, and hazardous chemical handling. Demonstrates understanding and adheres to Chemical Hygiene plan and Infection Control policies. Employee job duties may include transport of hazardous waste from the point of generation to a designated secure storage area; employee will be required to complete initial training (prior to handling hazardous waste) and refresher training to include proper handling and transport of hazardous waste, and proper selection, use and disposal of personal protective equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department or unit.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Laboratory Assistant II opportunity with Florida Hospital Orlando and apply online today.
Laboratory Assistant, Lab Assist, Lab, Orlando
Position Location: Orlando
Organization: AdventHealth Central Florida
Primary Location: US-FL-Orlando
Job Level: Staff / Associate
Education Level: None
Job Posting: Jun 5, 2019, 3:11:06 PM