Center City, Philadelphia, PA
Full time (2:30PM-11:00PM) Monday-Friday (no weekends) Unit Secretary position available
The Magee Rehabilitation Unit Secretary is responsible for performing tasks that support patients, families, physicians, nursing staff and other departments within the hospital. Unit Secretaries handle administrative duties within an assigned hospital nursing unit(s). They perform clerical duties to maintain an organized healthcare unit & allow medical and nursing staff to focus on patient care. This role is also responsible for maintaining a line of communication between the patient and clinical staff.
- Administrative responsibilities involving the nursing unit, including, but not limited to: answering phones, making copies, filing, etc.
- Schedules and confirms patient appointments, updates patient appointment calendar and appointments everywhere calendar.
- Maintains unit supplies and equipment
- Assists in the admission of patients per admissions protocol
- Maintains patient records
- Breaks down medical charts for record keeping per HIMs protocols
- Communicates with the clinical staff to ensure all appropriate patient information is gathered.
- Prepares all information needed for patient transfers, discharges and appointments
- Follows through with all information needed for the medical record after patient appointments and tests are performed.
- Answers patient call lights as per unit protocol.
- Assigns staff in Vocera call bell alert system.
- Attends monthly Unit Secretary meetings.
- Promotes and supports the Mission, Values and Vision of Magee Rehabilitation Hospital
- High School degree or equivalent
- Minimum 1 year experience as a Unit Secretary or related position in a healthcare facility or hospital environment
- Experience with medical record system preferred
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- Strong problem solving & critical thinking skills
- CPSI Medical Record
- Kronos Timekeeping System
Conditions of Employment
Since this position will require the selected candidate to engage in regular contact with children in the form of care, guidance, supervision or training, you will be required to meet the requirements of the Child Protective Services Act, including the Pennsylvania State Police criminal background check, the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare child abuse criminal background clearance, and an FBI finger print based federal criminal records check. The selected candidate will not be allowed to commence working until all three (3) are completed satisfactorily.
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 full and part-time students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.