Center City, Philadelphia, PA
The Export Compliance Officer will assist in the day-to-day operation and implementation of Jefferson’s Export Control Compliance program and assist in the development of the International Health Safety and Security (IHSS) program within the Jefferson enterprise. The incumbent should have an awareness of export control and IHSS requirements applicable to university research and related activities, such as international travel. Additionally, the individual should be familiar with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions regulation, as well as OSAC and the Academic Working Group (AWG). Data collections, analysis, and reporting are a major function of the position.
- Export controls compliance processes and procedures (80%) and international health safety and security processes and procedures (20%).
- Lead the improvement of export compliance processes and procedures.
- Assist with the improvement of international travel/health safety and security processes and procedures.
- Work closely with the Office of Legal Affairs to maintain the Export Compliance Manual.
- Conduct out reach and serve as the key liason with stakeholders across the University to drive awareness and collaboration around export compliance and IHSS processes.
- Conduct export compliance assessments of international shipments, material transfers, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Research and determine commodity jurisdiction and classification of materials and technologies.
- Develop technology control plans (TCP) in collaboration with IS&T and researchers, as needed, and monitor compliance.
- Prepare and manage export license applications for international shipments, technology exports, and deemed exports.
- Submit commodity classification requests, commodity jurisdiction requests, requests for advisory opinions, or public comments to government agencies.
- Assist with designing and providing training to the broad university community on export control regulations as well as IHSS policies.
- Perform Restricted Party Screening using commercially available software and generate reports.
- Evaluate international travel requests for export control-related issues and red flags; provide follow-up education about risks and protocols to traveler.
- Prepare statistical data and reports of mitigated risks, screening results, and other metrics on an annual and as-needed basis.
- Actively participates in professional organizations and groups such as the Association of University Export Control Officers (AUECO), the Ohio State Export Controls Listserve, OSAC and AWG.
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with Jefferson’s values.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or equivalent. Master’s Degree preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION:
Export compliance certification preferred.
3 years of export compliance experience required.
Prior experience in a university preferred.
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 full and part-time students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.