EMPLOYEE & LABOR RELATIONS ADVISORJob ID 2019-5841 Shift Days FTE 1.0 Start/End of Daily Work Schedule 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. , M-F Type Full Time Facility Prince George's Hospital Center Department 116916/ 110-9160-00 Human Resources
Under the supervision of the VP, Human Resources, manages employee and labor relations issues to promote a positive ER culture within the business while minimizing risk. Monitors, tracks and manages grievances and agency filings for UMMC. Provides HR Business Partner support to departments with employees in a collective bargaining agreement.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Oversees the HRBP function of counseling management and resolving employee relations issues related to manager/employee situations, employee engagement, policies and procedures, performance improvement plans, and employee separations. Acts as senior resource on difficult and/or complex issues and cases.
- Investigates and responds to internal and external complaints, charges, and audit requests such as Compliance, Risk, EEOC, OSHA, NLRB, etc., and represents and defends the Medical Center’s position and interests. Partners with internal and external legal counsel as appropriate.
- Analyzes employee relations trends, identifies root causes, and recommends appropriate and creative resolutions. Tracks/monitors corrective actions, grievances, agency filings to ensure the consistent and fair application of UMMC policies and procedures and the timely compliance with requirements.
- Partners with the Vice President of HR, UMMC Director of Employee and Labor Relations, and HR Shared Services to design and deliver HR team development and training to align with and support the UMMC culture and business objectives.
- Participates in the development and facilitation of employee relations and Performance Improvement training and education of managers to ensure they understand and follow appropriate steps of performance improvement and the corrective action processes. Participates in developing and managing range of contemporary tools and resources to assist managers and HR professionals in addressing issues and opportunities.
- Manages review/investigative efforts of UMMC HRBPs by guiding process to ensure due process, due diligence, and positive efforts in the process, including interviewing complainants, witnesses, and subject matter experts. Coordinates and facilitates referrals to other system groups and functions such as Compliance, Legal, Risk, Safety, Security, and Employee Health. Prepares documentation, recommendation, and proposals for final review and approval of UMMC Director of Employee and Labor Relations.
- Acts as senior resource and liaison to UMMC ELR on employee and labor relations issues.
- Participates in full range of labor relations activities and work. Will participate in labor negotiations.
- Provides direct HR Business Partner support to departments with employees in a collective bargaining agreement.
- May act as the back up to the local facility HR director.
- Coaches HRBPs and support staff.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in human resources, business or related field required; J. D. preferred.
- At least three (3) years’ experience advising on HR-related matters with emphasis on employee relations required.
- At least three (3) years’ experience directly involved in employment law required. Experience advising employers as clients preferred.
- Experience in union negotiations required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced skill and knowledge in areas of employment/labor relations, regulations and laws (state & Federal). Familiarity with other HR disciplines, such as compensation, benefits, and recruitment.
- Skilled in conflict resolution, consulting, negotiation, communication, interpersonal skills, organizational, and analytical techniques and approaches. Strong ability and skill in moving flexibly among various approaches in response to changing situations and circumstances
- Experienced level skill in applying state and federal employment laws such as FMLA, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, NLRB, Title VII, OSHA, and NLRA to workplace issues
- Experienced in employment law, with particular emphasis on advising employers as clients.
- Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations in a professional and dignified manner and skill in maintaining composure and professionalism under difficult circumstances
- Ability to independently identify the appropriate sources for the correct answers to problems
- Skilled in balancing results with relationships in pursuing outcomes aligned with organizational business objectives
- Ability to coach, develop, and mentor staff and to lead teams in producing outcomes aligned with organizational business strategy and objectives
Bachelors Degree in human resources, business or related field.
At least three (3) years’ experience advising on HR-related matters with emphasis on employee relations required.
At least three (3) years’ experience directly involved in employment law required.
Experience in union negotiations
Professional Certification as SHRM-SCP, or SPHR.
*UM CAPITAL REGION HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DECISIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE NOT BASED ON RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED STATUS.*