EEG Technician (Per Diem)
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 34106BR
Job Summary: Measures by means of an electroencephalograph (EEG), impulse frequencies and differences in electrical potential between various areas of the brain, to obtain data for use in diagnosis disorders.
- Processes all EEG reports.
- Prepares patient's head for electrode placement, performs EEG, clean patient's head after test, and prepares room for next patient.
- Performs special procedures and portable EEG's as required.
- Takes pertinent patient histories on both in and out patients.
- Transports patients to and from the department for testing.
- Files EEG patient reports.
- Demonstrates knowledge/skill necessary to provide care appropriate to patients ranging in age of 15 years to geriatric. May in emergency situations deal with patients ranging in ages of infancy to 14 years and must demonstrate appropriate knowledge/skill to deal with this patient population.
- Makes daily log documentation and notations.
- Orders linen and office supplies and stores items.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment.
- Associate's degree in Electroneurodiagnostic Technology or related field required.
- Or, Active Registration from the ABRET (in lieu of A.S. Degree).
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Or, H.S. Diploma with two years of previous experience can be substituted in lieu of either an A.S. Degree or active ABRET registration.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.