Director of Laboratory
- Req. Number: 2019-24488
- Posted Date: 4/4/2019
- Shift: Regular Full-Time
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm
- Hours: 40 hours per pay period
- Address: 1600 E. High St.
- City, State: Pottstown, PA
- Department: Laboratory - Clinical
Tower Health is a strong, regional, integrated healthcare provider/payer system that offers leading-edge, compassionate healthcare and wellness services to a population of 2.5 million people. Together, our six hospitals and other entities provide a full range of medical care from prevention, screenings & education; to the latest clinical services and surgeries available; to rehabilitation. We also offer wellness programs & public health services that ensure our communities are the healthiest they can be. Our caring, highly trained physicians and staff are committed to patient safety and patient satisfaction.
With more than 11,000 team members, Tower Health includes Reading Hospital, a teaching hospital based in West Reading; Brandywine Hospital in Coatesville; Chestnut Hill Hospital, a teaching hospital in Philadelphia; Jennersville Hospital in West Grove; Phoenixville Hospital in Phoenixville; and Pottstown Hospital in Pottstown. We also operate Reading Hospital Rehabilitation at Wyomissing & Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences, & we have a comprehensive physician network.
Collaboration across Tower Health enables our hospitals, providers, leadership & staff to leverage best practices across the health system. Our hospitals have received national recognition for advanced care in areas such as neurosurgery and stroke, cardiac & vascular surgery, trauma, hematology & oncology. Reading HealthPlex, which opened at Reading Hospital in October 2016, combines state-of-the-art technology and world-class design to make the HealthPlex one of the most sophisticated surgical centers & inpatient facilities in the region.
At Tower Health, we have a rich history of providing high-quality, cost-effective care in the communities we serve. As the healthcare industry continues to change, one thing remains steadfast: Tower Health’s commitment to Advancing Health, Transforming Lives.
Leads the Laboratory operations to meet or exceed appropriate standards of accrediting, regulating and/or certifying organizations as well as established performance metrics. Primary responsibilities include planning, coordinating, and directing all aspects of the lab with emphasis on employee engagement, quality assurance, efficiency, and budget management. Works in conjunction with Medical Director and under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer. Other responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement diagnostic and analytical procedures
- Evaluate laboratory information
- Consult with pathologists
- Report results in accordance to protocols mandated by the hospital and the public health department
- Maintains medical laboratory equipment performance by establishing quality standards; developing operations, quality, and troubleshooting procedures
The Director of Laboratory will also oversee Laboratory personnel while ensuring services are of the best quality, are cost contained and carried out in an expeditious manner. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department while working toward improving laboratory relations with other departments and physicians.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Biological Science, preferably Clinical Laboratory Science (Medical Technology)
- Successful completion of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists Medical Technology Registration (MT-ASCP) examination with strong preference given to candidates who are a Diplomate in Laboratory Management (DLM).
- 5 years of clinical laboratory experience, including at least 2 years in a hospital setting as a Laboratory Director.
- Must possess the necessary requirements to qualify as a Clinical Laboratory Supervisor under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act Standards (CLIA) as established by CMS.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) - Required
- Diplomate - Preferred