Community Health Worker (Diabetes Prevention)
- Job Number: 00184568
- Location: Columbus, OH
- Organization Name: Mount Carmel Health System
- Facility: MCHS - Corporate Services Center
- Employment Type: Part time
- Shift: Day Shift
- Hours: 16
At Mount Carmel, we work to continuously inspire one another. Here, all are welcome. It is this culture of humility and compassion that sets Mount Carmel apart. We see the big picture and do the right thing. That means a dedication to the well-being our both our colleagues and the patients they serve.
Why Mount Carmel?
With five hospitals, over 60 free-standing outpatient clinics, a college of nursing, a Medicare Advantage plan, and extensive outreach and community wellness programs, Mount Carmel Health System serves more than a million patients in central Ohio each year, and we've been a pillar of this community for more than 130 years. As a proud member of Trinity Health, one of the nation's largest Catholic healthcare delivery systems, our network of caring spans 22 states, 94 hospitals, and 133,000 colleagues nationwide.
We know that exceptional patient care starts with taking care of our colleagues, so we invest in great people and all that we ask in return is that you come to work ready to make a difference and do the right thing.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages including medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Retirement savings account with employer match starting on day one
- Generous paid time off programs
- Employee recognition incentive program
- Tuition/professional development reimbursement
- Relocation assistance (geographic restrictions apply)
- Discounted tuition and enrollment opportunities' at the Mount Carmel College of Nursing
The nation's 14th largest city, Columbus, Ohio is one of the fastest growing major metropolitan areas in the Midwest – ranked #1 for population growth, #1 for job growth, #1 for wage growth, and #1 real estate market. And with a vibrant blend of professional sports, world-class attractions, creative cuisines, and a flourishing music and arts scene, you'll never be found wanting for entertainment and experiences to call your own in Columbus. Learn more at www.experiencecolumbus.com!
The Community Health Worker is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has an in-depth understanding of the community served. The CHW serves as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery. The CHW builds individual and community capacity and awareness by increasing health knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range of activities, such as outreach, community education, intensive case management, social support and advocacy. Assists the patient in accessing appropriate resources and coordinates referrals as necessary. Provides community and educational support and serves as a community liaison.
This specific Community Health Worker position is 100% funded by a CDC grant. They will serve as Lifestyle Coach facilitators for patients at risk of developing diabetes to improve patient health outcomes and cost savings to the patient and health system.
- Assists in locating and verifying appropriate resources for patient referrals and educates patients of such; Attends community meetings that affect the targeted populations
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with external community resources as well as internally throughout the Mount Carmel Health System
- Consistently communicates pertinent and/or timely information to UH Manager and team.
- Maintains appropriate and necessary documentation; data relating to patient appointments; outcomes of patient referrals.
- Attends and provides input at monthly meetings and provides input for the Manager
- Works closely with program team to coordinate, identify, enroll and monitor participants in the program.
- Transports patients as necessary and appropriate
- All other duties as assigned.
- Education: High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) required; Associate Degree preferred
- Licensure / Certification: Community Health Worker certification or ability to obtain within first year of employment. CPR certified or ability to become certified within 6 months of hire
- Experience: one to three years relevant community experience preferred
- Must have and maintain a valid Ohio Driver's license
- Must have and maintain dependable transportation
- Must be compassionate and competent in working with diverse cultural, religious and socioeconomic groups
- Must possess strong ability to serve as a community liaison between target populations, agencies, providers and team
Mount Carmel and all its affiliates are proud to be equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, physical disability or any other classification protected under local, state or federal law.