Chief – Surgical Oncology
Category: Physician/Physician Assistant
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posted Date: February 5, 2019
The incumbent will assist with the development of an efficient, high quality program in the Surgical Oncology. The incumbent will improve the standard of care for the surgical oncology by serving as the medical director and promoting adherence to nationally established guidelines.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Quality & Outcomes: Supports the mission, vision, and core values of Hospital; Provides consultation and overall direction and supervision regarding the quality, availability, safety and appropriateness of the medical services furnished in Surgical Oncology; Assists with monitoring, improving and maintaining the standards of medical care provided in Surgical Oncology; Participates in utilization review, compliance, and performance improvement activities related to Surgical Oncology; Participates in any relevant risk management of the Hospital; Participates in the establishment of annual goals for Surgical Oncology; Participates in the operating and capital budget process for Surgical Oncology; Reviews and approves policies and procedures with regard to the operation of Surgical Oncology; Identifies opportunities to improve operational efficiencies and resource allocation related to the delivery of surgical care; Identifies required equipment and supplies necessary for successful operation of Surgical Oncology; Advises the Hospital concerning equipment, personnel, training, supplies and services needed to permit a full range of surgical services to be provided at the Hospital; In the event a claim is bought against the Hospital, its directors, officers, or employees arising out of Surgical Oncology, cooperates with the Hospital in its response to the claim.
- Communications: Advises on and participate in, where appropriate, continuing education programs for surgical oncology staff, nurses, operating room staff, and active Medical Staff members as to specialized skills required for performance of services in Surgical Oncology.
- Growth: Works collaboratively with appropriate Medical Staff and Hospital leadership to achieve Surgical Oncology development; Advises and assists Hospital in such other special administrative projects as Hospital may reasonably request, such as investigating trends and developments in practices and techniques relevant to Surgical Oncology, introducing innovative approaches to improve the quality of care in Surgical Oncology, providing advice concerning participation in affiliation or other teaching agreements between Hospital and educational institutions, and participating and developing programs related to Hospitals community outreach; Participates in strategic planning functions of the health system as they apply to Surgical Oncology; Participates in succession planning and planned growth within Medical Staff specialties as related to Surgical Oncology; Collaborates with AAMC leadership to increase market share in the primary and extended markets, assessing, and broadening the geographic reach of Surgical Oncology, including participating in marketing efforts.
- Additional Duties: In collaboration with the Surgical Oncology staff, Reviews and analyzes performance data at least quarterly and presents data to the Medicine Quality Council; Participates in surveys by regulatory agencies; Maintains a minimum of 8 hours of continuing education annually; Supports community and staff educational endeavors; Advises/consults on the care of the surgical patient in the acute setting; Monitors the outcomes of surgical oncology patients; Organizes and attends daily multidisciplinary rounds.
- Research: Work to implement, develop and grow research initiatives related to the department of surgery and the DeCesaris Cancer Institute in collaboration with the Research Institute. Present, or publish, on behalf of AAMC regarding topics of relevance to departmental leadership, clinical improvements. Participate in regular professional development conferences. Serve as a member of the following committees: Research Review Committee and Research Advisory Board Education: Manage the academic clinical practice in the support of the Surgical GME effort at AAMC.
- Degree in medicine from an accredited medical school
- Licensed to practice in the State of Maryland and Board Certified
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or