St. Francis Hospital is 376 bed acute care hospital that offers a full range of inpatient, outpatient, and emergency room services. For more information on St. Francis please visit:
St Francis Hospital
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and plays a key role in building and maintaining relationships between hospital management and the medical staff, as well as recruiting new physicians. In addition, the CMO collaborates with Administration and leads in clinical transformation efforts to improve patient care quality and safety and overall clinical effectiveness and efficiency.
• MD or DO degree, completed residencytraining in a recognized specialty, board certification in the specialty oftraining and management (MBA, MHA, MMM, MPH) degree or equivalent experience ispreferred.
• Effectivecommunicator; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Previous practice experience.
• Proven leadership skills andaccomplishments.
• Must have knowledge of hospitalstructure, operations, and infrastructure of quality and utilization.
• Requires expertise with medical staffprocesses, policies and procedures.
• Experience in managing, developing andmentoring physicians.
• Highly motivated in the areas ofquality improvement and clinical transformation, with proven expertise inmultiple aspects of healthcare such as quality assessment, peer review,delineation of clinical privileges, outcomes research, clinical profiling,evidence-based medicine and service quality.
• Provides leadership and expertise for medical staffservice, hospital quality and clinical effectiveness.
• Provides Leadership to Department of Medical StaffServices ensuring effective credentialing & privileging, peer review andmedical staff committee functions. Orchestrates organized Medical Staffcommittees & functions to ensure effective Governance.
• Evaluates and optimizes the care management approach,process of disease management, patient satisfaction, patient safety and developsprocesses to assure appropriateness of care including length of stay andancillary resource utilization.
• Provides an environment of quality and costimprovement that is data driven and develops systems to review utilization ofresources and objectively measure outcomes of care in the inpatient andoutpatient settings.
• Monitors physician and group patterns, presents data,analysis and interpretation to physicians and physician and hospital committeesfor review and guides efforts to improve.
• Assures that quality management programs are carriedout in all clinical areas through the development and implementation ofeffective disease management programs, clinical protocols and guidelines, otherdecision tools, and review of the outcomes.
• Develops a performance database incorporating JCAHOand other key quality indicators to provide leadership necessary to meet regulatory requirements and guidelines.
• Partners and collaborates with the medical staff andmanagement team, facilitating teamwork, aligned efforts and goals.goals.
• Helps represent medical staff viewpoints toadministration and relay administrative views to medical staff & Provideson-going counsel and advice to Executive Leadership regarding the medical staffon physician matters.
• Provides strategic leadership by focusing teams andorganization units on visions and distinctive strategies that result inexcellent short and long-term performance in clinical, service and financialoutcomes. Integrates evidence-based medicine practices wherever possible,building this into new and existing patient care delivery systems.
• Facilitates, intervenes and moderates all majorphysician-physician, physician-patient, and physician-staff concerns withexecutive team members. Promotes a justculture and ensures effective oversight and remediation of concerns.
• Implements organizational structures which promoteshared accountability, high achievement and compliance with applicable laws andregulations; this to include electronic linkages and care delivery tools.
• Ensures medical staff development plans and programsare implemented and maintained as required by policy.
• Integrates clinical care quality and management withnursing, operations and finance; partners with members of the senior managementteam, particularly the Chief Nursing Officer, in this endeavor.
• Dedicates resources and time to developing physicianleadership in an incremental manner, with a focus on the existing medical staffofficers and clinical chiefs.
• Oversees Educational Programing including medicalstudents, Allied Health, shawdowing, and medical staff CME and Grand Roundsefforts.
• Additional duties and responsibility as assigned byChief Executive Officer
Equal opportunity and affirmative action employers and are looking for diversity in candidates for employment: Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran