Area of Interest:
Hours of Work:
What You Will Do:
Under limited supervision, serves as a leader and coordinates an advanced level of comprehensive health care of a specific patient population in collaboration with the medical staff. Oversees the work of the nurse practitioners and physician assistants in specific service lines. Takes a leadership role in overall program development.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assists the Director of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants (APPS) and collaborates with the Medical Director in facilitating the development, support and management of the NP/PA group within specific service lines.
2. Actively participates with Quality Management in the development and implementation of clinical practices.
3. Monitors competency, documentation and outcomes of care given by Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants. Identifies ways to facilitate working relationships among all levels of staff to meet patient care requirements.
4. Provides overall clinical supervision, including work assignments, SCHEDULES, training and evaluation in accordance with UMMC and specific, respective departmental policies and procedures.
- Interviews and recommends hiring of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants.
- Assists with the annual performance evaluations of staff and recommends disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Identifies learning needs of staff. Orients new Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. Develops department level education, including in-services and teaching materials.
- Promotes professional development of staff.
5. Assists in the development of policies and procedures related to patient care by following established applicable nursing, medical and primary care standards.
6. Models appropriate judgment in the follow-up of patient care issues, including use of physician, nursing and/or administrative chain of command. Models effective leadership behaviors in the Program Manager role. Facilitates learning for other staff to become more effective in their role. Provides coaching and team building to increase employee productivity and satisfaction. Serves as a resource to staff for problem solving.
7. Actively participates in and leads discussion of quality results and patient feedback, problem solving and development of plans to improve quality of care and service. Follows up and supports efforts of colleagues to implement improvement action plans.
8. Facilitates change to meet organizational goals within the service line. Develops and implements strategies to reduce costs and increase patient satisfaction.
9. Acts as a liaison with nursing, medical staff and quality management.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Master of Science Degree with completion of Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant program.
- Four years’ experience as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant is required. Lead or supervisory experience is preferred.
Licensures and Certifications
- Registered and currently recorded with the Maryland Board of Examiners of Nurses and Certified as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant in the State of Maryland. Certified in area of specialty, preferred.
- Current ACLS and BCLS, required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on
Powered by SmashFly