Job ID: 765340
Hours: Mon-Friday, 10-hr Shifts
Shift: Day Job
Facility: University of Pittsburgh Physicians
Department: Thoracic Surgery
Location: 5200 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15232
If you are an Advanced Practice Provider who loves an upbeat environment, working hands on with patients and families, then why not consider at career with UPMC?
University of Pittsburgh Physicians, Division of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Department of Thoracic Surgery is hiring a full-time APP Supervisor, ACNP or Physician Assistant for the UPMC Shadyside, primary, site. The daylight position schedule is Monday through Friday, 10-hr shifts, with no call. Rotating weekends. The role will primarily support inpatient rounding, operating room and outpatient services. If CRNP, ACNP certification is required for this specialty. Credential sites to include SHY, PUH, Mercy, East, Passavant.
The Supervisor, APP is a Physician Assistant or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner and a member of the care delivery team. The Supervisor, APP is responsible to set the standards for the level and quality of care. The Supervisor, APP coordinates and oversees all physician assistant and certified nurse practitioner functions. The Supervisor, APP has responsibility, authority and accountability for the provision of care through supervision by and collaboration with a physician. The Supervisor, APP manages and provides patient care activities for a group of patients and their families through the application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with all team members. The role of the Supervisor, APP encompasses leadership, partnership, collaboration and supervision. The Supervisor, APP establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with physicians, other health care providers, patients and their families, to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care. The Supervisor, APP demonstrates a commitment to the community and to their healthcare profession.
- Actively participates in department or practice-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunity for quality improvement to colleagues, management, and members of the healthcare team. Takes personal responsibility in improving patient satisfaction with the quality of care and service. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest, discusses opportunities for quality improvement at multidisciplinary rounds, and influences patients' plans of care.
- Applies basic educational principles in teaching of patients, families, students and new staff. Provides education to patients and families to effectively guide them through the episode of care as well as transition to another level of care and/or home. Supports the development of students, staff and colleagues, may serve as a preceptor. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
- Applies principles of acceptable professional practice. Formulates a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as partner and considers the individual needs of the patient. Demonstrates critical thinking in all areas of professional practice. Practices solid communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient's condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and clinical practice. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Incorporates acceptable standards of professional practice as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction Builds relationships with patients, families and colleagues.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Actively participates in practice and clinical setting specific goal setting and supports the change and transition process to improve quality of care and the practice environment. Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance and partnership. Participates in work that improves patient care and the professional practice environment. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships. Maintains a conscious balance between work and personal life. Models safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyle. Communicates with peers, members of the healthcare team, and management any safety hazards identified in the workplace.
- Provides departmental leadership to direct, supervise, and manage daily activities of the PAs and CRNPs; completes annual performance evaluations in conjunction with support staff. Participates in recruitment, evaluation, and management of PA and CRNP employees. Implements, maintains, monitors, and communicates Human Resources policies pertaining to PAs and CRNPs. Facilitates training of staff for all PAs and CRNPs. Oversee staff adherence to compliance requirements including documentation, coding, licensure, internal and external audits, compliance and safety training (OSHA). Organize and oversee staffing of clinical sites with attending physician and Director of Operations. Troubleshoot problems in clinical areas. Work in conjunction with clinical staff to resolve issues. Liaison for all advanced practice providers for each site. This would include communication to the division management and physicians on behalf of the advanced practice providers, as well as communication to the APPs from management. Primary contact for patient complaints or other clinical issues on behalf of the physician in his/her absence. Act as a liaison to and preceptor for PA and CRNP students. Assist staff in preparation of conferences.
The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the patients as specified below. They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
5 years as a acute care nurse practitioner, physician assistant or relevant managerial experience required (at least 3 of the 5 years from APP experience)
The successful completion of an approved Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or PA program is required. Special Skills and Abilities Required: In addition to the responsibilities of the Staff APP, the Supervisor, APP must meet the following criteria to achieve supervisor status: Must supervise 3 APPs. Must maintain clinical practice at least 25% of the time. Must precept at least 1 student per year. Must maintain a Solid/Strong/Good or higher on annual performance evaluation to maintain status. Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families. Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment. Good clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care. Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of acceptable standards of practice. Mobility and visual manual dexterity. Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients. This position is dependent upon successful attainment and maintenance of hospital privileges, if applicable to the Business Unit practice.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances: Current state RN license and CRNP, Acute Care or PA certification by the state is required. CPR Certification Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification; National board certification. CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Act 33 Child Clearance
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support or Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner, Acute Care
- Registered Nurse
- Physician Assistant
Salary Range: $42.49 to $70.84
Union Position: No