Center City, Philadelphia, PA
The Nurse Practitioner is a registered professional who, under the sponsorship of a board certified physician and in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary health team, is responsible for providing comprehensive care to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital patients. The Nurse Practitioner will provide evaluation, coordination and management for a patient population to achieve high quality care and efficient use of resources. The incumbent functions in an expanded role within the guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act, Nursing and Medical Staff Policies and Procedures and in accordance with Nurse Practitioner clinical protocols. The Nurse Practitioner is granted affiliate privileges by the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Medical Staff in which the privileges list specific clinical protocols and procedures that are reviewed bi-annually.
- Perform outpatient preadmission H&P for SDA patients and follow-up with preoperative requirements, e.g., test results, clearances, etc.
- Counseling, pharmacotherapy and management of patients with tobacco addiction.
- Liaison between cardiac surgeons and all referring providers.
- Return patient calls or home care personnel with clinical questions or problems.
- Complete all home care orders in preparation for attending physician signature.
- Review laboratory and imaging studies.
- Orchestrate preoperative preparation for outpatients:
a) Obtain history and perform physical assessment
b) Assist surgeon in obtaining surgical consent
c) Coordinate with support staff OR scheduling in Epic
d) Write all orders for tests as requested by attending surgeon
e) Coordinate plan of care with referring physicians
- Assist in education and training of medical students, nursing graduate students and residents assigned to the Cardiac service.
- Care for Cardiac surgery patients in the out-patient office setting:
- Evaluate new patients in collaboration with the cardiac surgeon
- Function independently for post-operative or established patient visits
- Complete all outpatient disability and FMLA paperwork
- Triage outpatient post-operative incoming phone calls
- Perform outpatient post-operative phone calls or tele-medicine in a timely manner
- Consistently work within the JUP quality standards of Epic
- 100 percent utilization of the Epic as it pertains to position responsibilities
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with the core values of the University.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) from accredited institution
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION:
Current Pennsylvania Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) license.
Current Pennsylvania Registered Nurse (RN) License
Current National Board Certification as Nurse Practitioner in an appropriate specialty
Current Prescriptive Authority in PA
Required to maintain a tobacco cessation certification.
Experience in Surgical Specialty, ideally Cardiac Surgery preferred
Written and verbal skills in the English language.
Knowledge of clinical and organization skills/techniques and knowledge of hospital ancillary functions generally acquired through previous education and/or experience in related field.
PC, central hospital medical programs and equipment, EMR
Utilize and remain current with the tasking function of Epic
Proficient in tele-medicine
Attend and successfully complete Epic (Electronic Medical Record) training
Remain proficient and knowledgeable in Epic – attend JUP update training sessions
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in 10 specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, the Jefferson Enterprise maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.